Monday, October 05, 2009

New strings

I've neglected my guitar lately.

First of all, let me say I'm not a skilled guitarist. I can chord a little... enough that I can accompany myself on most country and folk songs. That's really all I ever wanted to be able to do.

So when I got my first guitar and a chord book and learned to strum in the key of C, I was a happy camper; later on, I learned to play in the keys of G and D. I bought myself a capo (otherwise known as "a cheater") and was able to chord along to any simple song.

The time came when my guitar needed strings. How hard could it be to change strings? I took out the old strings, put on the new ones, and started twisting the keys until my tuner said it was right. This has served me just fine, all my life.

Today I decided that if I removed the old, dead strings from my Gibson and put on new ones, perhaps that would give me motivation to use it more.

Sometime within the last year, I was told there's a proper way to string a guitar; the person who told me this doesn't play a guitar, but I figured she was probably right. So I found a Youtube video demonstrating how to properly put new strings on a guitar.


Tonight, I decided to put on strings the right way.

With each string, I replayed the video and followed the instructions carefully. At least, I thought I did.

Except that somehow, I got the G string so that the tuning peg has to be turned in the opposite direction from all the others.

I haven't decided whether to leave it like that and just deal with it, or restring it properly. I'll sleep on it, OK?

And by the way, what ever happened to Black Diamond strings? The people I used to strum with would use no other brand!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!