Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Yummy things

I was in the mood for some "peachy" dessert this morning and ended up making this cobbler.  Now, I really prefer the kind of cobbler my mom and grandma used to make, which was more of a square or oblong pie; you know, with top and bottom pie crust.  Unfortunately, that would mean we'd be consuming several tablespoons of shortening with each piece, and we don't need that.  
I thought about making peach crisp, but in my experience the crispness doesn't last.  It's only "crisp" right after you make it.  
So I made this kind of cobbler with the shortcake topping; it'll be wonderful with just a little vanilla ice cream.  
Because Cliff gets up at 10 A.M. and leaves at 2:30, it's hard to squeeze in breakfast and dinner; often he'll have just a tiny bit of breakfast to tide him over.  But sometimes, when I am planning a more elaborate dinner, he gets dinner almost as soon as he's out of bed.  I cooked one of the roasts from our butchered steer overnight in the crock pot (it's unbelievably tender).  This always leaves lots of tasty juices with which to make gravy.  I peeled some potatoes from the garden, and I will cook some sort of vegetable to go with this.  
We'll be eating by 10:30.  The worst thing about having dinner for breakfast is that we take our walk after breakfast; we will have some full bellies, walking in the heat of the day.  It's really hard to keep up the daily walk when we don't get out there until 11:30 with temperatures already hitting 90 degrees.  
I have good news from the garden front:


Although my tomato plants are succumbing to blight, it looks like I'll be able to can a few before they're all gone.  There are enough in this picture, I think, for fourteen quarts.  Of course some of them have to ripen a bit first.
I also have bad news on the garden front:  I found a squash bug on the zucchini plant that is almost ready to produce.  I sprayed, but that hasn't helped much in the past.  Oh well, I get an "E" for effort, right?

4 comments:

  1. Your dinner for breakfast sounds wonderful. It's a great idea to use the crock pot for a roast instead of the oven when it's hot. I'm trying to use mine more and more. The trouble for me is of course the quantity involved. I could cut a roast 3 ways and it would be perfect. So glad to see you have that many tomatoes! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pie looks great. Glad that you are getting more tomatoes. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindie7:39 AM

    Happy about your roast. Sorry that your vegetables are having problems! How old is your peach tree? I am thinking about moving to Texas and the main problem down there is that the deer eat the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindie, I think the biggest tree is 10 or 12 years old; there's also a younger tree beside it with a variety of peach that ripens about the time the bigger tree is finished.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!