Sunday, July 18, 2010

Randomness

This is one of the baby bluebirds in the birdhouse, the same birdhouse from which we repeatedly snatched sparrows' nests earlier in the year.  I won't be peeking in on them any more, because I don't want to scare or discourage them.

This is a bruise on my left upper arm:  I was taking my daily walk (barefoot as usual) early one morning while Cliff slept; I took the usual turn around my cabin, stepped in a pool of slimy cow poop, and slid down, falling against a board that's part of the cabin.  No, it doesn't hurt.  
I told you the cows were taking over my cabin; I didn't know they had a trap set for me.  


Not to be outdone, Iris has a wound on her upper right leg (see the gaping red hole?).  She goes for walks with us, but I've pretty much let her run where she pleases, up to now.  On the part of our walk that takes us to the fence between us and the crazy neighbors, she made a habit of going through the barbed wire fence and nosing around over there.  The other day she disappeared in the vicinity of that fence; I called her and heard a sharp, panicky whine:  Cliff went to check: a barb on the wire had pierced her skin and was holding her captive.  Today she walked with us, but when we got to that area, she stopped long before we reached the fence, and waited for us to turn and head back up the hill.  I don't think she'll be going through that particular stretch of fence again, any time soon.  She also kept us in sight during the entire walk.  So this little injury might have worked out well, if it indeed taught her a lesson.  

8 comments:

  1. I find it amusing that we both referenced our "crazy neighbors" today. Do you think everyone has a crazy neighbor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm fairly certain everybody has one or two. Once on Facebook I mentioned "crazy neighbors" and Jessica said, "Oh, you have crazy neighbors too?" So it must be a universal thing. I'm pretty sure that I play the part of the crazy neighbor, in the eyes of more than one person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess we all have them, and I just be one of the craziest in my neighbors eyes. Hope that wound heals all right for Iris. What a painful lesson to learn...I've also had a few of those in my life too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww, Iris looks so sad. Poor little thing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course you have to wonder - how do you know YOU'RE not the crazy neighbor? We've had crazy neighbors and they rarely think there's anything wrong with them. Love the picture of Iris - she looks so pitiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor you stepping in that they falling. That bruise looks bad. Poor Iris getting caught in the wire. She looks sad. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Though the bruise looks like it would be painful, I'm glad it isn't and you haven't got any broken bones from the slipping and falling.

    Iris does look sad and I'm sure her injury is painful. I don't blame her for staying away from the barbed wire fence, I stepped on barbed wire when I was a kid, that stuff hurts, they stuck my foot in kerosene.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Iris looks ashamed, poor thing. Hope it heals well, and I hope that bruise of yours goes away soon. Glad you didn't hurt yourself worse than that.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!