Thursday, July 08, 2010

Today's menu, and a garden report


That's the dessert:  Blackberry pie.  We only have a little bit of ice cream, but such as we have, we shall divide equally, Cliff and I.  
Fried green tomatoes are calling my name; I've already picked the tomatoes and washed them.  The Bodacious sweet corn I planted for the first time this year is as good as people said it would be.  It's an early variety, and very sweet.  We had some yesterday, but there are some things you just don't get tired of; so it'll be on our plates today too.  
My Yukon Gold potatoes succumbed to blight, but the potatoes are good-sized and usable anyhow.  We'll have some new potatoes.  
I'm getting cucumbers and sweet peppers, although even the peppers, planted on new ground, obviously have some problem with blight this year.  I know all the rain we're getting this year has a lot to do with it.  There will soon be eggplant ready, and I will probably end up pulling two of the four plants, maybe even three.  I just don't know many people who like eggplant, or know what to do with it.  I only have four because the plants came in a four-pack.  
The good news is that Cliff works with a lady who has lots of zucchini; so in a week or so, I may be able to make ratatouille.  I told him to see if she has any use for eggplant.  

6 comments:

  1. It all sounds mouth-watering delicious! You're blessed to have your garden and the talent to make it produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want eggplant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindie4:30 PM

    I wish I had suitable space for a real garden! When I was at Whole Foods today I mostly just looked at their vegetables. Their English peas looked beautiful but who pays $4.99 a pound!! All my container tomatoes are loaded but so many of them have blossom rot or something. I just pick them and throw them out in the lawn for the squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, people don't know what to do with eggplant. I am one of those people. lol. Could you please post some of your recipes. I would really like to try some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pie! Love the Bonnie pictures - when is she due to calve? I got a surprise yesterday from my Molly cow - a week early bull calf!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!