Sunday, February 01, 2009

Charity advice received!

First of all, let me say that I think tithing is a worthwhile goal, but I've never been a ten-percent giver. I realize the Jewish people were told to tithe; I haven't seen that particular percentage recommended in the New Testament (except when Jesus was talking to Jews). People in the early Church, indeed, sold everything they had, put it in a general coffer, and lived together. Sort of like Communism. I'm not going to do that, either.

I'm not debating religion here, or trying to start anything; it's just how I was raised and how I believe, even though the church I'm a member of at present is very big on tithing, almost making it a command.

I've always thought it would be nice to tithe, but for most of my life we couldn't have afforded to do it. And even more important, Cliff is the chief breadwinner around here, and he doesn't want to tithe. I possess the checkbook, but I'm not going to get rid of a big percentage of his money somewhere that he doesn't want it to go.

Cliff isn't stingy; he's more giving in many ways than I am. So when he mentioned a few days ago that both of the churches we've attended lately "sure do take up a lot of collections and talk about money", that led to a discussion. He said he had no problem with putting $25 a week in the collection plate when it comes around. That's half the amount I have been giving.

That's why I asked my readers for some resources and advice on charitable giving. I want to find a few that Cliff can trust, and then let him choose where that other $25 each week will go. I wasn't finding the sort of watchdog group I wanted in my Google attempts.

Meesha found just the site for us, and I'll be checking it out. The Guy suggested we keep our giving local, as close to our own community as possible; sounds like good advice. I'm going to check on Harvesters. There's a food pantry right here in our little community that we'll check into.

You see, this way I get to donate the $50 per week that I know we can afford and which suits me just fine. But Cliff, the guy who earned the money, gets to put his money where he chooses.

I think Cliff would prefer organizations that help human beings; however, I do get a little stipend from Social Security, and I'll send Wayside Waifs a little something once in awhile, Anne.

I love having a place where I can ask for advice and opinions and sort through them. It's the most amazing thing to me, like having my own back fence where I can discuss things.

Thanks, everybody!


1 comment:

  1. Tithing is far from being the only test in the Bible. The entire OT law with over 600+ commands was a test.

    Gal 3:10 For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

    The only way to claim blessings from tithing was to obey all 600+ commands of the OT law which was impossible.

    NT giving is sacrificial. For many that means more than 10% and for some it means less than 10%. The equality principle of 2 Cor 8:12-15 should guide our giving ---not tithing.

    www.tithing-russkelly.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!