Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Finally, a dentist I can trust

I decided last fall that I was going to do something about my teeth; actually, I don't have that many, and some of the few I have are crowns. I was going to get really brave and get dentures, but the last time I went to an oral surgeon to get a tooth pulled, he said that my teeth are hanging in so tight, I'd be wise (and happier) to go with a partial.

Back to my regular dentist, who actually got angry when I suggested a partial. He wanted to do bridgework and have a failing root canal redone (at extreme expense, and then it still might fail). Oh, and for the spot where there's a missing tooth that shows when I smile broadly, he wanted to do an implant. And he really talked to me in a high-and-mighty tone, insinuating that I was stupid not to want to spend so much money.

January 1, our insurance changed, and that dentist was no longer a preferred provider anyhow. So I needed to start all over.

I looked online for a nearby dentist who was on the new insurance's "approved" list and saw one, a lady dentist, in the next town over. I set up an appointment.

What I did not know was that the Rodgers/Lafayette clinic is sort of a charity place: they keep prices low, or set up payments for those who can't pay all at once. It's a wonderful work they're doing, but as in the case of any facility like this, the waiting time is long. By long, I mean two hours or more. And once you're in the office, things don't move any faster. The lady dentist seemed OK; her assistant left much to be desired. After cleaning and x-rays and two appointments, I decided to switch to Cliff's dentist, who is in the same town. The only reason I didn't choose him to start with was that it often takes weeks, even months, to get in to see him.

Let me just insert this: Do NOT pick your dentist from a list, knowing nothing about him or her. My mistake.

I called Rodgers/Lafayette and signed for my x-rays to be sent to Cliff's dentist. I called for an appointment yesterday, and they made the appointment for..... today! Unfortunately, the x-rays that were supposed to be sent had not arrived, so after my consultation, I went over there to see what the problem was, and found out the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing. I think I got them moving; they said they'd have the x-rays sent by this afternoon. If I hadn't stopped by, they would never have been sent.

My new dentist had sensible, affordable solutions to all my problems. He didn't make me feel like an idiot for not wanting to spend thousands of dollars on teeth that have always been far from perfect, teeth that I'm sure have a very limited life span at this point.

Third time is charm, they say.

I planted twenty-five strawberry plants today. Because my knees won't let me bend, I sit on a bucket and stoop over to do work on the ground such as planting or weeding. After running the tiller (I can do that, even with bad knees), it was a matter of setting out a plant, getting up and moving my bucket and the container with the plants and the container of water, sitting on the bucket again.... well, let's just say it's tedious work. But it's done now. The bad part is there won't be strawberries until next year.

My plants all survived the freeze last night. I guess I'd consider this a good day.

6 comments:

  1. Did you know that you are allowed to hand carry all of your medical information including X-rays, MRI's and CAT scans? Most people don't know this. I always suggest people hand carry everything, including referrals if they need one. Glad you found a great dentist. Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to just about any dentist is expensive so I'm glad you found one that could resolve your problems. Glad your plants didn't mind the cold weather. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindie7:32 AM

    I like my dentist in Grain Valley but was kind of upset when he was not there one day for my checkup and his wife, who is also a dentist was. She had all kinds of suggestions that would cost me thousands. And I have nothing basically wrong with my teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found one you can trust. That's like gold! Next time, if there is a next time, just take the records over yourself. You just have to sign a release.
    Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember coming home from school one day and my mom was crying - she just found out that her dentist was retiring. She had horrible dental care as a kid because the one dentist in the county had a drinking problem so it would take a few appointments before he actually was sober enough to do any work. I agree - a good dentist is worth his or her weight in gold!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you found a dentist you're comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!