Friday, April 17, 2009

So, how does my garden grow?

Out of the several "free" trees from Arbor Day Foundation, only one shows signs of life.

That stick in the foreground is the Chinquapin Oak I transplanted from back near my cabin. Can you see the little pink bud? I'm quite surprised this baby tree survived the transplant.


Radishes and onions are going strong.

The pepper plants that I started in my miniature greenhouse are happy to be outside.

The tomato plants? Not so much. Tomatoes don't like cold weather. But they'll perk up before long.

The poplar trees are ready to leaf out. The Norway Spruce trees, to the right of them, are still dying. Win some, lose some.

This is a tiny, transplanted Savoy cabbage. I planted these seeds directly in the garden in February or March and they've gone through several hard freezes.

The other day, just on a lark, I went to the woods and dug up some wildflowers: violets in two colors, Dutchman's Britches, Mayflowers, and a Sweet William. I expected them to die, but so far, after four days, they look fairly healthy. I put them on the north side of the house, knowing these plants love shade.

The strawberries are doing fine, too.

Oh, by the way: Have you seen my tulips? You can click on this picture to see it larger.

I was over at Horseshoe Bend looking at the lovely
azaleas, wishing I could plant those. But it appears we're a little too far north for them.

5 comments:

  1. I wish I had the space/sun/time to do a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:42 AM

    Hi Donna...I think you could do an azalea...if you plant it where it gets sun...big time...and use some good rich soil for planting...mulch real good during winter...I have about five...they are slow growing around here..otherwise..I am hopeful to have some blooms a bit later...and oh boy...how your garden does GROW!!!! happy day...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pictures with your camera. It does a good job! Hey we are supposed to do some planting tomorrow. I've looked at the temperature chart and no more weather under 32 is expected.
    Sonya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is looking good except for those few trees. Hope those wild flowers live. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything is coming right along at your house. I was out in the woods today at my house, & guess what I found? ...one of those bean trees like your's. I saw these huge pods hanging in a tree & got to looking, & it was just like the ones you showed in your entry.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!