Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An active day

As I always do lately on sunny days, I went outside as soon as it was fully daylight. The first thing I did was remove upside-down containers from over the tomato plants, and straw from the pepper plants. I'm guessing all those precautions weren't necessary, but one never knows. I've babied those plants for so long, I'd hate to lose them now.

I transplanted my herbs outside, too. I don't know how they'll take to it, but something had to be done; they had totally outgrown their container.

I've planted more flowers. I transplanted some Savoy cabbage plants I grew in the garden from seed, and found the half-row of turnips I had been looking for. Sheesh. I should have recognized that they weren't radishes!

Yes, I realize most people plant turnips in autumn, but sometimes when we have a cool, wet spring like this one, turnips do all right in spring. Do you know the old rhyme about turnips? Plant them "the twenty-fifth of July, wet or dry"; and harvest them "the twenty-fifth of October, drunk or sober."


When I first went outside this morning, the tulips were all closed up, hiding.

A couple hours later, they were opening up to the sun, and continued to open as the day went on.

Can you see the green cast? The grass Cliff sowed is coming up.

This strange-looking helicopter flew over as I was gardening. Click to see it better.

I think my knees are broken. I won't be doing much for the rest of this day.

4 comments:

  1. I envy your flowers in bloom and your garden with veggies! We do have some green grass peeking through on the south side of the house but that's about it. The deer will keep it nibbled down. No grass at the stable for the horses yet, just mud. I hate mud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks good around your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a CH 54 Sky Crane Helicopter.... used for heavy lifting and moving of cargo containers... Reminds me of a praying mantis... sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna, your flower beds look darling, take care of those knees....girl
    loopy

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!