Monday, April 06, 2009

You just can't stop a flower from blooming


Temperature was in the twenties this morning. Tomorrow, we may possibly sink into the upper teens. Didn't anybody tell my tulips and hyacinths how cold it is? We had a brisk walk in the pasture this morning, let me tell you.

Every day for the past week or so, when we get close to our tiny pond on our walk wood ducks take flight, surprised by our presence. I've been taking my camera in hopes I'll get a picture, but the timing hasn't been right.

Yesterday, thanks to our fisherman neighbor, we had a catfish fry. Three of my daughter's family was here, as well as grandson Arick and his girl friend (by whom we're rather impressed, by the way) and granddaughter Amber. Sister-in-law Rena arrived just as the last fish fillets came out of the skillet; she'd been visiting her son.

I made pumpkin dump cake, something I baked once before that we all agreed was a hit. I don't know what I did different, but yesterdays effort just wasn't that special. Don't you hate it when you bake or cook something that isn't quite right, but you have no idea what you did wrong?

Next time I have family over, I'll make lemon pie. Maybe I'll get that right. Or Oreo Dessert: the oldest grandson has probably been wishing for that for a long time.

I get the impression my children and grandchildren have heard quite enough of my "non-funeral" plans, but Cliff and I are still enthusiastically researching and discussing our final resting places. Did you know there's an earth-friendly cemetery as close as Columbia, Missouri? Not only does it not require a vault... it doesn't even require a casket! Yeah, just wrap one of my mom's quilts around me and toss me in.

But enough of that; I'm sure my readers are getting as weary of this subject as my children are. So I'll probably shut up about it from here on out. If I should chronicle a motorcycle ride that ends at Columbia, though, you might guess what we're doing there.

6 comments:

  1. I have my place all set too and the 'babes' all know my wishes. It's good to get it done so they don't have to bother I guess. As we get to retirement age it does make us think about those things. Glad you had a nice dinner for your family. It's always good to have them around.
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sister once wrote lyrics called "Send me to Heaven in an Orange Crate", and I put the blues music to it. Maybe someday I'll tape it and play it for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindie4:55 PM

    I learned something the other day. I can't remember the name of the group but you can have your body shipped directly to a crematorium and it costs about half of what it does to go through a funeral home. $1000 instead of $2000 if I had known it earlier!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindie, I've already found a crematorium in the Northland that handles the body from start to finish: They transport the body to their establishment, take care of all the legal stuff, etc. No funeral home involved. If there's no memorial service that involves them, it's around $1,100.

    You sign up with them for $35 so you are on file, and that's that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna, I for one am glad you are still talking about the once tabu subject of dying in America. IF more people only knew what you have learned they would be SHOCKED. I feel it is important to know in advace what you want done with your body and then to share that with your family. It is up to them to do it. I also think if this were discussed in a more open and less dredful atmosphere as to inform and educate it would be better for everybody. Oh well........carry on! Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found a headstone I like
    http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_jan2008/GeekGravestone.jpg

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!