Friday, April 03, 2009

What a way to start the day

Right out of bed, I noticed there was not a cloud in the sky. When I let Sadie out, I perceived that it was cold and frosty outside. Without further ado, I grabbed my first cup of coffee and headed for the hot tub. I love, love, love sitting in the hot tub when the temperature is below freezing and the sky is clear, watching the sun come up. It was a perfect start to my day.

Then, because Cliff's payroll check shows up in the bank on Friday mornings, I decided to pay the couple of bills that are cluttering up my bill-holder. These days it drives me nuts to see a bill there; I like paying them as soon as they arrive.

When I opened my checkbook, I realized I had failed to write down a check, and although I wracked my brain, I couldn't for the life of me remember what bills I had sent off during the past week.

Now, I have online checking; it would have shown up in a couple of days and I could have entered it. I have overdraft protection in the form of a savings account: if I accidentally overdraft, the bank automatically transfers $100 (or however much is needed) from savings to checking. So why I was so concerned about this, I don't know. But I was. I wanted to get these two bills paid and I wanted to do it NOW! I couldn't until I knew how much money I had.

So, I dug through the trash, through the empty boxes and coffee grounds and carrot-peels and even some cooking grease. How the mighty had fallen since those fifteen minutes in the hot tub.

Yes, I did find the stub for the bill I had failed to write down: It was our car insurance.

Now I'm going to pay those pesky bills and get them out of the way, because there's plenty left, after entering that missed check, to do just that.

10 comments:

  1. Glad you found that stub. I hate forgetting to log in a check.I dislike for bills to pile up. This morning I just finished paying the last couple of bills for this month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate doing bills monthly, Wifey is my savior. She does our home economics here and doing such a good job. She's the prudent one.

    Most probably you're Cliff's.

    Have a great weekend now that the bills are out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never throw things like that away but I do tend to put those stubs in different places so it takes time to find them if I have to look. I've got to get more organized so I don't spend so much time in the research department. It's raining here today. Glad you have a sunny one. Enjoy your Friday! 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have done that before. It drives me crazy until I figure out what it was I didn't write down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that, too! Jesse will look at me and say "I think I threw away ______." Yes, yes, I'll go look through the garbage. I mean, I've gone through the poopy baby diapers stage. Not a whole lot phases me anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ms Martyr1:22 PM

    You should invest in duplicate checks so you'd have a copy in your checkbook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes. I am glad you found your information. I hate it when I do that, it does drive you crazy not knowing what you wrote a check for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes I know the dig in the smelly, drippy routine. It drives me crazy not to have everything tended to and up to date.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wait just a minute Missy, you are a gardener and you don't compost your coffee grounds? You have horses and you throw away your carrot peels? You have grease and you don't heat it up until it is liquid and mix it with bird seed? And you don't recycle your boxes? Are you sure you are a farm gal?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Doesn't it feel good to have the bills all paid for the month? I have that same set up with my savings account, so I don't worry about being overdrawn so much. The online banking is GREAT! I love that, too!
    You are so lucky to have that hot tub! What a great way to get rid of the aches and pains and start your day.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!