Friday, January 09, 2009

Change of plans

When you live in Missouri, it's necessary to be flexible with your plans. Turns out the optimistic weather-guessers were right, so around noon I packed a lunch and we went for a ride.

There's nothing like the lure of the open road.

We can't remember what little town this was in, but I like cannons, and I like our shadows.


We stopped in the hamlet of Alma to eat our meat loaf sandwiches. We've learned that even the tiniest villages have a city park, usually on the square. We enjoy having our picnics in such places.

We sat on a bench in the sun, outside that shelter.

An abandoned antebellum home.

And another one. If those houses could talk, who knows what stories they'd tell of slave days and Civil War skirmishes. This isn't so far from where the Battle of Lexington took place.

An abandoned farmstead, long past its glory days.


The house is long-gone from this old farmstead.

Tomorrow we'll do the bike show. It'll be too cold to ride then, for sure.

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be able to resist the temptation to go look around inside those old houses. Respectful of the property of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most fun we have on our yearly drive across country to the West Coast is stopping in some little town -- and you are right -- all of them have a little park to eat our lunch. Usually in Oklahoma but sometimes we go across Kansas. We have found some really great spots too. Loved the pix...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being in Oklahoma my weather is about like yours was wasnt the weather wonderful today? I opened windows to get the stink out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your pictures! Especially of those old huge homes. What history you have there!
    Glad you had a good ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these photos. My husband and I enjoy taking mini-road trips through our home state of Texas and into Oklahoma and Arkansas. For some reason I've become attached to old court houses and try to get photos everywhere we go.

    Thanks for sharing these!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!