Tuesday, September 19, 2023

A poinsettia story

When Christmas was over last year, on the way out of the Baptist Church the preacher's wife asked me if I wanted a poinsettia plant.  She doesn't even remember doing that, by the way.  I think she just wanted it gone, since it had served its seasonal purpose.  For some reason I accepted it, knowing I'd just toss it out when I got it home.

I sat it down on the side of the kitchen table closest to a northern-facing window and pretty much forgot about it.  That's why I don't have  house plants; once something sits in the same place for a couple of days, it becomes invisible.  I didn't bother to water it for a long time; the sad plant just sat there turning browner.  I did notice it when I wiped off the table, and wondered why I hadn't gotten rid of it.  At some point, for whatever reason, I gave it some water; it was refusing to completely die, so why  not?  Sometime in February, Cliff said, "Is that plant dead?"

"Pretty much," I answered, and gave it another drink of water.  In the back of my mind I began wondering what would happen if it had enough life in it for me to put it in the garden come spring, where it wouldn't be bothering me and making me feel guilty.

I believe it was mid-April when I dug a hole and put it in its new home; we had a hard freeze or two, and some frost once or twice; but since I was covering up my first two tomato plants, I went ahead and covered the poinsettia too.  In May I put some zucchini seeds right beside it.  By July, the zucchini plant had practically covered up the poinsettia, and I honestly forgot all about it.  It's been a dry summer, but I did water my zucchinis from time to time, so I suppose the poinsettia got some water too.

In August the squash bugs arrived and the zucchini plant died.  There was the Christmas plant, looking quite healthy!

   

It was so pretty, I shared it on Facebook.  There were many  admirers, and one couple told me to bring it in the house, give it 12 hours of total darkness every day, and it would turn red by Christmas.

I don't even have a flower pot to put it in, and I do NOT intend to be nursemaid for a silly plant that you can buy in December for a very reasonable price.  It can sit out there until the cold weather kills it and I'll know it had a happy life.

However, I did go to Google out of curiosity:  I found out I did nothing right when I put the silly thing in the garden and forgot it.  They are only supposed to have four or five hours of direct sun each day, so maybe being in the shade of the zucchini plant saved it.  They are supposed to be fertilized once a month: Ha!  I don't even fertilize my  tomatoes!  Before I put it in the garden, I should have cut the plant back to almost nothing; I even left all the brown, dead leaves on it.  

Everything I did to the plant was wrong!

But a seed has been planted in my mind, even knowing that if I bring it inside, it will never live to see another year... because that's how I roll. 

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:50 AM

    They do grow naturally outside in Mexico which I can only imagine it is hotter than what you are. Good Luck with the plant. Hope you do find a pot for it and bring it inside. They can live a long time with very little care. But I think the best thing you did was plant it outside for the summer. I once had one that lived 3 or 4 years in the house. Take care and good luck, Love ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do bring the plant inside, if only to be able to post about how it does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:39 AM

    Their leaves are so different from our other plants. I have 2 Palawani trees I planted in my yard a few years back. People comment on how strange they look with their super large leaves and their dead branches from past years, but I love the diversity of plants. The birds love them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I would definietly bring it in! I have over-wintered them before with some success. It is gorgeous and you are right about the zucchini offering some shade from the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My oldest has a cross country meet next to a nursery that raised tens of thousands of those things. None of them are as big or healthy looking as yours is when I saw them a few days ago. As far as I know, they aren't getting 12 hours of darkness either but I expect they will be blooming around Christmas time as they are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only have to get the 12 to 15 hours of darkness every night for eight weeks before you display them.

      Delete
  6. That's incredible! My mom has a way with poinsettias and usually throws them out in May because she's tired of them. I can barely keep mine alive until Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one must have been a glutton for punishment.

      Delete
  7. Live happy. Die the same way. No regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I'd take that poinsettia in a minute. BTW: I have a schefflera. It is not supposed to get direct sunlight. It spent last summer outside on the uncovered deck and went crazy. This year, I just stuck it in the greenhouse. I've had the thing for probably 15 years and it is huge despite the fact that I am doing it all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there you go. Just like people, plants don't always follow the rules.

      Delete
  9. That's an interesting post, Donna. I don't know a thing about poinsettias, but when I was a kid in Southern Calif. they used to grow in our yard around the house. I always wondered whether the previous owners of our place planted them - or if they grew wild.
    I think they grew wild.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even when they aren't red, I've learned that they're still a lovely plant.

      Delete
  10. I think you could just leave it outside and see what happens. What would it hurt? Call it an experiment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I've read tells me they can't take winter temperatures, so they have to be carried inside. The only way I'd try it would be to find something thick enough to protect the roots, and I don't know what that would be.

      Delete

I love comments!