Tuesday, September 12, 2023

Various things

After three or four days of very little working in the garden, I woke up yesterday and realized my knee pain was much less.  So that's nice, although it wouldn't stop me from working in the garden if there was more of a chance I'd get something for my work.  At this stage of the game I'll just hand-water the strawberry plants and the tiny radishes that have come up, and maybe do a bit of weeding where it's needed.  The skies sprinkled rain most of the day yesterday, which amounted to less than a quarter-inch of rain; the only thing that small amount will do is make the weeds grow, and the strawberry plants, I imagine:  They think they are weeds anyhow.

I have to confess, when Cliff's pulmonologist told him he didn't actually have asthma and sent him to an ear, nose, and throat doctor, I thought that doctor was crazy.  My husband was wheezing constantly, and several times a night I'd wake up to him coughing and clearing his throat.  He even moved to the other bedroom so he wouldn't be waking me up.

Guess what?  After following the new doctor's orders, he hasn't wheezed or coughed for three or four days, not even once.  So here I am, Miss Know-it-all, telling the world not to come to me for medical advice.  Last night, he was back beside me, and my sleep was undisturbed by any noises from his side of the bed.

He is still short of breath; he thinks that's because he's overweight, and that may be.  I'm working with him to try and lose some weight; that's very difficult for a man who is limited by arthritis, and can't do much exercise except pedaling on the recumbent bicycle for thirty minutes a day.  

Believe me, it's hard for me to help him, because I have to watch what I eat too, and I hate that.  But he can't live in the same house with me and be smelling cookies, cakes, or pie baking in the oven.  I can't sneak around by baking and hiding it, because he's always here.  Oh, he usually goes to the shop to piddle around most afternoons, but the smells of baking would give me away when he came back in.  So wish us luck.  I realize it's for my own good too, but it's hard.  

Poor me; won't somebody please give me a little pat on my head for being a good girl?     

It's definitely Autumn in Missouri, so I'm reading through my books faster.  I finished Judgement Prey.  I hadn't read any Lucas and Virgil books for a long time, so I enjoyed it.  Now I've started a book that isn't such an easy read...  Wager:  a Tale of Shipwreck, Mutiny, and Murder.  It's non-fiction, and pretty sad, which I don't need at this time of year, but it was on hold for a long time, so I'm reading it while I can.  Cliff will like it, since he always prefers books that tell stories that really happened.  

It's time to start his coffee, so I wish you all a good day.

7 comments:

  1. It's hard when two people who live in the same house have to eat differently. Good luck to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wouldn't hurt me to lose a few pounds. I'm just used to eating what I want when I want.

      Delete
  2. I like the author of "Wager" but a friend who read it said it was very boring. None of her family liked it. It would be tough for me to give up sweets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't an easy read, but I'll probably get through it. I'm fairly sure Cliff will like it fine.

      Delete
  3. I'm a big fan of David Grann and really enjoyed the Wager. For non-fiction, it reads easily like a novel though as you said, the subject matter is a bit depressing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't think nose clips will help with the wonderful smell of home cooking! Here's your pat on the head and a pat on the back for being a good girl. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!