Friday, September 08, 2023

The twilight years are a challenge

I've learned that growing old is the process of slowly giving up things in your life that you care about.  I've also learned that if you dwell on that, you will ruin what little bit of life you have left.  I'm not saying you shouldn't fix things that can be fixed, but many things in life are unavoidable.

You get to the place where you've lost your parents, aunts, uncles; there's nothing that you could do to prevent that, because dying is a natural part of life.  But it's still a loss to you.

I walked at least three miles daily for forty years, often with my husband by my side.  When my knees gradually decided to quit and gave me too much pain, I walked slower, and not as far as I used to.  That worked for ten or twelve years, until I couldn't do it anymore.  I did get a knee replacement and was able to take my walks for about two years after that; then it got to painful again, and my right knee hurt too... but I wasn't about to get another knee replacement when the one I already had was hurting just as much.  I still miss my long walks, but I don't dwell on it.  I do get tired of the pain at times.

I always used to have at least one Jersey cow on the place... not because we needed five gallons of milk a day, but because I love Jersey cows.  When the cow had her calf and was giving lots of milk, I'd buy three or four baby Holstein calves and bottle feed them the extra milk.  Oh, how I loved those times, watching the calves buck and jump and play; but I finally admitted to myself that I had no business doing it any more.  For one thing, my knees would hardly let me squat down practically underneath the cow to milk her.  Now the only livestock we have consists two cats and a dog.  Thank God for pets!

My husband lost his hearing and now has cochlear implants, and we are so thankful for that, but the implants are not like the hearing he was born with by a long shot.  He really misses his country music, and he tells me people don't sound like themselves.  

Both of us have lost a lot of strength in our bodies.  I used to be able to pick up a fifty pound bag of cattle feed and pour it into a barrel.  And my husband, in his twenties, was one of the strongest men I have ever known.  I never saw him lose an arm-wrestling match except one time when he lost deliberately as he winked at me so I'd know what was happening, and let the muscled-up inlaw win, because he didn't want to make him feel bad.  

We used to attend lots of tractor shows, hauling one or another of the classic tractors Cliff had painted so we could ride in the Parade of Power.  We're not much for travel any more; Cliff says it's all he can do to keep the car on the road.  He really has to pay close attention, especially on the freeway and in large cities.  

What got me started on this subject was something that happened to me this morning.  I was on the computer reading my usual morning surfing when I realized that there was something like a sparkling halo on the left side of my left eye, blurring my vision something awful.  It stayed like that for at least an hour, making it difficult to read.  I mentioned it to Cliff, and we discussed it.  Then I googled it (I know, I know... never do that) and found it could be a detached retina.  I thought, Oh no!  I need to be able to read!  It's the only thing I do that doesn't hurt!

But that was two hours ago, and now I'm fine.  For now, at least.  And I just now realized I could always listen to audiobooks if I went blind.  

Now?  Right this instant I'm thinking how silly it was to worry about reading, when I'd be unable to see where I was going.  I couldn't have my garden.  I wouldn't know if I was about to step in the grandson's dogs' poop; I couldn't watch the Chiefs play football (although if they played like they did last night, that might be a blessing). 

Sad but true:  Old age is not for sissies. 

24 comments:

  1. Don't worry. :) Sometimes we think the worst when it is actually not the worst.
    You should go to the eye doctor, though. It will only take a minute to give you peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the halo went away, I stopped worrying.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous10:27 AM

    I don't talk about it but as I've gotten older I can definitely relate to this. I've had to cut out certain foods, alcohol, get my sleep. I tire out quicker. I can't walk far because my knees are wore out. In light of that...I have had what you speak of several times in my life. When I looked it up it was called a silent migraine. It was scary the first time but from what I read it's harmless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After the problem went away, I found several sites that said it isn't rare for older folks to have blurry vision that clears up after they've been awake for awhile. So I'll take that.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I'd appreciate it if you would at least put your first name in a comment so I would know if you comment here again.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean because I see it coming. I've gone from running and walking to just walking and who knows how long my knees/feet will hold up? Aging is indeed a process of letting go and of perhaps finding alternates to what we used to enjoy. Sitting with the cat in the morning has become a wonderful although not as healthy replacement for my morning run.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky1:30 PM

    I get these visual halos, also known as visual migraines. I was told they can be an early warning sign of a stroke. If you also have high blood pressure, mention it to your cardiologist. Better safe than sorry. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:45 PM

    I don’t let what.I’ve given up haunt me. My memories bring such joy. My eyes are not what they used to be either however for the most part I am happily reading. Our lives are so different than we expected as we have aged. In some cases we’re richer than ever before. Blessings, Penny

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bought a 50-lb bag of sunflower seed at the feed store, and the woman behind the counter picked it up and threw it over her shoulder and took it out to the truck. I used to be able to pick up a 50-lb sack, but that was years ago. Now I have to slide it out of the truck into a container that fits o on the dolly and wheel it up to where I keep it. I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It happens to all of us eventually.

      Delete
  7. At least your wisdom will keep getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Several years ago I had similar vision symptoms. Hustled into the eye doctor, who diagnosed me with an occular migraine. Now the problem shows up every month or so, but I don't worry about it.

    At this year's eye doctor checkup visit I mentioned my blurry vision, which would temporarily clear up when I blinked. He suggested I use lubricating eye drops first thing in the morning and the rest of the day as needed. Now I don't have any issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always keep eye drops handy. My right eye is blurry, but that's because of a cataract. However, my left eye takes over when I read, so the words aren't blurry at all.

      Delete
  9. rebeccadelani@yahoo.com5:22 PM

    I am feeling this, even in my mid 50s. Yes, you are right. Seems like I am more and more learning how to let go, both of earthly possessions and cherished activities.
    I don't have any experience with halos per se, but if you start having flashes in an eye, like white lightning flashes, you DO need to go to the Dr. It's something pressing on your optic nerve and really could mess up your vision.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have hubby keep working with the audiologist to change his program for what he wants to hear. Listening to music by Bluetooth directly into his ears is really nice! Have him take notes of what he experiences that he wishes was different. I carried around a little spiral note pad to help describe what I wanted to the audiologist. Several companies have computer programs to help relearn to hear. True, aids or implants don't fix hearing as much as glasses fix vision. Keep working with those audiologists! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous7:02 AM

    Commenting from Mumbai, India. i used to have the spark thing at the left edge of my left eye. I was actually amused for a few days, then saw an opthalmologist. Turns out that behind our eye (that we see) and in front of the retina, is a fluid like thing called vitreous humor. sometimes it clumps up llke gel and sticks to the retina. when it tries to pull away, those sparks are felt, and too much of this (the pulling away), might injure the retina. i was given some drops to use for a week, after which all the sparking light stopped,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness, how in the world did someone from India end up reading my blog? Thanks for sharing your experience. Since my eye trouble only lasted about two hours and then was gone, I'm pretty sure I'm fine.

      Delete
  12. Donna, where’s dust everywhere? I did not get to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Oh I feel this. All my aunts and uncles. My Dad was the youngest of eight kids and my mom the second youngest of nine. And so many cousins and friends gone from this earth. Everything changes I remind myself daily and try to be happy with that. Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  14. Actually it sounds like a visual migraine. My daughter and I get them every so often...halo effect and blurring... but they go away. Quicker of you close your eyes and zone out!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good heavens. My comment did not 'stick'.

    It is hard isn't it? I find myself, at 66, trying to calculate how much time I have left to do all those things that I wanted to do, but put off because I had responsibilities. It is a sobering thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's strange, because I read it when you first commented. Very strange.

      Delete
    2. Yours is not the only blog this is happening on. I wonder why?

      Delete

I love comments!