Saturday, September 23, 2023

Surprises in the garden

I got tired of watering my next-to-the-last planting of green beans, and left them to die; I had a another small crop of green beans coming on, but decided not to water that planting either.  A couple of days ago I noticed there were some green beans on those last-planted ones that were about ready to pick; I examined them closely, figuring there wouldn't be any actual beans in the pods; but there were, so I decided to pick the beans that were ready and save them in the refrigerator for a couple of days in a baggie, until more beans got big enough to pick.  Then I walked over to the older rows and noticed they, too, had some decent-looking green beans on them.  I don't know how, with no rain, but there they were.  I now have enough green beans to cook, with some left over for a couple more days.  We never get tired of green beans, and they're good for my husband in his effort to lose weight.  He has some clothes now that definitely fit looser.  

He was trying not to eat anything after our mid-day meal, and succeeded.  But he mentioned that his stomach was burning a little when he went to bed.  I told him that's because the only thing in his stomach was acid when he ate nothing in the evening.  I suggested he just choose something not too caloric in the evening, like one slice of bread with a little peanut butter, or maybe half a cup of cottage cheese.  That fixed his stomach problem.  I would have told him to eat a banana or apple, but those things bother his stomach at night.  He really is doing much better about eating, and I hope I can keep cooking more healthy foods and less desserts so he won't be tempted. 


I also found two ugly, small tomatoes to add to the ones I already had in the house.  I'm making our healthy diet version of chicken gumbo, which calls for two cups of chopped tomatoes.  I had enough, with one tomato to spare.

As for the gumbo ingredients, the okra plants aren't contributing a lot, but I got enough in two days to give me the two cups of okra the recipe calls for.

There was a chance of rain yesterday.  People 75 miles south of us got six inches.  We got barely 2/10 of an inch, as always.  There's another chance of rain for today.  I won't hold my breath, although right now it looks and feels as if it could happen.  

There's always hope.

4 comments:

  1. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a huge fan of green beans (fresh ones!) and love gumbo! Good for Cliff. I don't do well with evening snacking. It's usually popcorn and not the healthy kind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Off to Google recipes for healthy chicken gumbo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have eaten so many green beans lately and they just keep producing! Good thing we love them. My dogs love green beens, too. I got just one okra pod because I planted late. Chicken gumbo does sound good, though!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!