Thursday, September 14, 2023

Another Cochlear Miracle

Cliff got his second cochlear implant May 27.  He hasn't really felt as though it helped him much, and thought he'd made a mistake getting it... until yesterday.

There are a lot of appointments involved after you get these implants.  Most of them are not with the surgeon, but with an audiologist.  They do all sorts of things at different visits that involve testing and "tuning up" the implant.  Yesterday's tuneup took away all my husbands doubts about having the second implant.

He had been told at his previous appointment to go home and listen to tv with the left-ear implant sometimes, without the right one being turned on.  He tried it once and couldn't make anything out, so that was that.  Yesterday he told the audiologist about it, and she said, "But you are supposed to practice listening to different things; that's how it works to make you understand things better."  

She put him through several tests that involve a computer being hooked up to his processor, told him to let her know which sound was louder or softer, and then changed things on the computer.  She did this several times.  Cliff mentioned to her that when I'm washing pots and pans at the sink, it sounds horribly loud to him.  She changed something on the computer that she thought would help that, and sure enough:  at home later I was washing dishes, and he said it wasn't a problem at all.

When that lady was done, Cliff could actually hear with the left ear, even with the the right ear turned off!  At home he found out he could hear the foil being unwrapped off my Lindor chocolates; I guess I'll have to go outside to sneak candy now.  He went to the shop, listened to his country music on Willie's Place, and found it sounding much better.

There is one negative thing that happened with the last implant.  About a week after he got that surgery, he started having severe vertigo.  It was so bad that the grandson got him to the hospital.  They gave him a pill that immediately helped the dizziness and sent him home with a prescription for 20 more pills, but he has taken most of them because he keeps getting dizzy; in fact, he's a little bit dizzy all the time.  So he's been carrying them with him every time we go someplace, just in case.  

Yesterday I told him we'd better take those pills with us to the appointment, because he doesn't have many left.  The audiologist looked at them and asked Cliff if he told the doctor he was having trouble with vertigo.  He hadn't.  That's sort of my fault, because I should have known that would be the right thing to do.  All I did was google it, which is never the right thing to do.  She said the pills he's been taking only mask the dizziness; the doctor can do things to help get rid of it, including therapy; she said she'd inform the doctor, and that he's have someone call and set up an appointment.  

So, I can now talk to my husband from another room, which I couldn't before; but I'm also going to have to be more careful when I try to sneak candy when he's around.

We're pretty excited about this new change.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:45 AM

    Your husband can hear and I now have artificial intelligence to mess with your pictures. It's a great world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that Cliff's hearing is improving, and surely they can fine tune the implants so he will hear even better with time. Candy isn't much of a problem for me, but I did make some banana bread last night so 3 overripe bananas didn't go to waste. I took some to one of my sisters, but I need to give away the rest lest it be too much of a temptation for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hooray! SOOOO glad you reviewed things with the audiologist. They and the implants are really good, but she told me: you haven't been hearing with your left ear, ever so gradually for a long time, so you have to reteach it how to hear. The more environments Cliff is around, the more he'll teach his ear to hear again. (I'd always been able to SEE my grandcats scratching their post, but now I can HEAR them scratching their posts.) Yes, wandering around or listening to music or TV with just the left one on, helps to teach the left to hear again. The thing I like about the implant and my new coordinated hearing aid on the right, is that I can hear again in the "middle" of my head, instead of mostly on my right. Be careful, the antivert pills can make you drowsy. Some dizziness after implant surgery is expected, but not permanently. Keep catching up with the surgeon and audiologist before winter weather. Write down Cliff's hearing "complaints" and it will help the audiologist tremendously, to help him get the hearing he wants. I usually refer to "it's to trebley or I need more bass sound for it to sound right." He may not notice it yet, but the automatic program in the implants automatically cut down the background noise when walking into a noisy store or warehouse. I used to turn my old aids off when walking into WalMart. The implant and it's coordinating hearing aid on my right do it for me now! Your challenge is that you'll have to give Cliff some candy every time he hears you getting some candy! LOL! Cheers, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many things we don’t even think about until they are gone. Greta got her hearing devices at 3. It was an amazing day. She’d never heard a bird sing til then.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What good news, Donna! I'm so happy for you both. Hearing problems are a real barrier. Tim gets impatient with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am jealous that you can have a conversation with your husband! Even with his hearing aids I have to repeat myself. He refuses to see an audiologist and get some good hearing aids. He said they were too expensive. I will do without some luxuries if he will just go! It is so frustrating and has become his excuse for everything! I didn't hear you! Happy for you, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel your pain. Hearing aids are getting a lot better than they used to be, and when hearing aids still worked for Cliff, every time he got new ones it was like a miracle, he heard so much better. We always got his hearing aids at Costco. For a long time he only got one for the right ear because he had very little hearing in the left one, even then. But when he got his last one, they were able to get a little help for the left ear. As long as hearing aids work, they are the best. But my husband got to the point that hearing aids just didn't do much for him any more. The cochlear implants cost us very little because Medicare takes care of most of the cost. The last hearing aids he had cost over $2,000 that we paid every bit of.

      Delete
  7. What a miracle those implants are! Cliff can now enjoy so much that he couldn't before. Sorry about the vertigo though and hope they can get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad he's hearing better, but sorry about the chocolates!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!