Sunday, September 24, 2023

Sunday Stealing

Sunday Stealing
Thanks to Bev Sykes for helping us steal memes.

1. What you did you do today?  My usual Sunday:  I went to the Methodist Church in town, which goes from 9 to 10.  Then I walked to the Baptist Church, which goes from 10:30 to 11:30.  I came home and warmed up leftovers from yesterday, and now watching football.  My team, the Kansas City Chiefs, play at 3:30, and they are really the only team I care about.

 2.  What are the must-sees in your area?  I'm 25 miles away from the greater Kansas City area, so I'd recommend the National World War I Museum and Memorial.  Also, in Independence, the recently remodeled Harry Truman Library

 3. What is your favourite quote?  Right now, it's this:  Luke 12:15 NKJV - And He (Jesus) said to them, “Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses.”

 4. What was the last thing you cooked or ate?  I made my husband and myself milk shakes.  He's been losing weight, so this was a treat he won't be getting again for awhile. 

 5. What is something you learned from your
 grandparents?   I really didn't know my paternal grandfather very well, but I spent lots of time with my maternal grandma.  She kept a diary, which led me to keep a diary (now a blog) throughout my life; also to read the Bible every day, and to love chickens and cows.

 6. What makes you happy?   I love the early morning hours.  The sun coming up makes me happy.  Pets make me happy, and my husband makes me happy... we have some funny conversations that make me laugh.  

 7. What is your best travel memory?  Several Colorado memories.  I really enjoyed a trip we took to Memphis, too.  Oh, and we took a train trip to the Grand Canyon for our 50th anniversary.  Then there were all the motorcycle trips we took to south Missouri and Arkansas.  Fun times.

 8. What’s the weather like today?  It's a lovely autumn day in the 70's.  Perfect!

 9. Share an interesting fact that you’ve learned.  I've learned that the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and there doesn't seem to be any cure for it.

 10. What is your favourite book, movie or band!  I can't choose a favorite book, there are so many good ones.  Right now I'm reading Lessons in Chemistry and enjoying it.  My favorite movies are Stand by Me and Little Big Man, as well as Casablanca.  Any band playing Henry Mancini songs is great by me.

 11.  Write your favorite poem or haiku?  This makes me wonder if I'm supposed to share a poem  I wrote.  I've written hundreds, but it's easier to copy and paste somebody else's. 

Leisure
by
William Henry Davies


 

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.


 12. What is a local festival or tradition from your area?  There's not much big going on in my little town, population 870 or so.

 13. What was the best thing you learned in school?  I learned how to be invisible and became a complete loner.

6 comments:

  1. Nice poem. A train trip to the Grand Canyon sounds like fun. We're coming up on 40 years for our anniversary and can't think of a way to celebrate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last I checked the Chiefs had a big lead in the half, but Patrick was limping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like his feet and legs are his weak point. They put the other quarterback in for now.

      Delete
  3. It seems that many people learnt the same lesson in school as you did. I always hated to hear people say that high school years would be the best years of my life. I believed it and the thought made me very sad. Now looking back, I wonder at all the people in my life that assured me of that. I actually don't know anyone at all who believes that high school was the best years of their lives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't fit in very well with most people, but I don't mind, because I enjoy my own company. My half-brother and half-sister left home when I was two; my parents and I lived in rural areas with no kids to play with, and I learned to make my own entertainment. I had a very vivid imagination, pretending to be an Indian, riding a horse, etc. No television in those days, but books galore.

      Delete
  4. High school was a good time although not the best time of my life. I wasn't popular but I was well-liked and loved all the activities--the sports, the clubs, etc. Our big deal is the Puyallup Fair (now called the Washington State Fair) As a resident, I'm always happy when it's over due to increased traffic around town. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!