Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Got Medicare?

I've been with Medicare since 2009.  Cliff enrolled the next year.

Once you reach your fifties, you start getting mail from all the insurance companies you've ever heard of.  Before I'd signed up for Medicare, I got a piece of mail from United Health Care, wanting to tell me about a plan they had called Medicare Advantage, contacted them, and set a date for someone to come and talk to me.

It was almost too good to be true.  Without me having to pay them a penny, they were going to give me cheaper doctor visits.  Oh, and he told me not to choose Part D on my medicare because I didn't need it with this plan; most of the common meds were $5.    

I stayed with United Health Care Medicare Advantage for two years, then found out other insurance companies had Medicare Advantage.  I could call a man who would come each year in the fall and show me which company would work best for me the next year.  Each year, it got better, with this man helping us get the best deal.

Currently Cliff and I have Humana Medicare Advantage.  They are now paying for new glasses and, for me, new teeth, since my partial denture doesn't work.  I've had three teeth pulled and will soon be getting a new partial... FREE!  Doctor visits are free.

But there's something you need to know before you sign up for Medicare, something I've just learned in the last few months.  Doctors and hospitals are starting to refuse patients who have Medicare Advantage because they, the doctors, are losing money.  You can, if you want to, go back to regular Medicare, but you'll have to pay to add Part D.  Over half of the people on Medicare are now using Medicare Advantage plans, and it looks like it could all fall apart.  I'm taking it as it comes, because what else can you do?  One day at a time is my motto.  And I don't want to worry anybody, I just want people to know what could happen before they sign up.  Click below and see for yourself:



13 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information. My Medicare signing up window starts next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're in the group I was hoping to reach. Pass it around! At least you have a choice. It will be hard on us if we have to go back to basic Medicare because we'll be paying a lot more than we're used to... I mean REALLY a lot more. But at least we can get back on it if we need to.

      Delete
  2. How much do you pay a month for the advantage plan, if I can ask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a cent. I've always wondered how they could do this because I don't see what the insurance people get out of it. The perks are GREAT. But it may be coming to an end... or maybe not.

      Delete
  3. I would say just do your research. It would be interesting to see what a doctor would say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had heard disquieting things about advantage plans so I opted for regular Medicare and a Medigap plan. It's more expensive and doctor visits aren't free but no one has refused to take it at least!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I opted this year for united health care. Before I paid part and had Blue Cross. I’m trying to stay well. I think that’s my best option. I’ve noticed the more folks go to the Dr. the more drugs they take and they all seem to be sicker than before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to to a generic Medicare class three times to find out what I should do. I've been on a Supplement F 4 years now. It has a good premium, but we get to choose our own drug plan, Part D, we can go to any place that takes Medicare, choose our own docs, get care out of town or another state, even out of country for 20% copay, don't need referrals, and the Supplement pays most everything that doesn't get paid for by A & B. My $125,000 cochlear implant, with a new hearing aid as part of the package cost zero. I don't have doc copays because the Supplement pays it. Supplement F is no longer sold to new folks and pays the Part B deductible, but the newer Supplement G is the same, but you have to pay the yearly Part B deductible. Unfortunately, most Advantage plans won't let you change to a Supplement, cuz you may not be accepted due to medical history, or have a 2 year waiting period. The out of pocket costs for Advantage folks starts adding up big time when you have to pay the portions of your hospital stays. Not a Supplement. Check with your state and honest agent on the details to change to a Supplement. It's tricky. The company doesn't matter, the plans are the same with each. Mine is from Old Surety Life Ins in OKC, cuz I remember the building growing up. They're about $20 cheaper cuz they aren't trying to be the big advertising ones. A Supplement Plan from Old Surety is the same as one from the big guys.
    Good Luck, Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  7. We can't afford a supplement at the prices I've seen. Nevertheless, we are at the end of life anyway, and if we die, we die. 'That's nobody's fault but our own, by the way. We are grasshoppers, not ants, and I don't blame the ants for our lack of funds. (I assume everybody knows that old Aesop fable). We've had a wonderful life living week to week ever since 1966, and I doubt we'll starve, no matter what.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous5:42 AM

    I had Blue Cross Supplement for several years but they just kept raising the cost until it was up to over $300. a month and I changed supplements then. My new supplement is $63.00 a month. And this is Margie from Margie's Musings...not Anonymous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We now, we could afford that. If all the doctors and hospitals refuse Medicare Advantage, I won't feel so bad about it. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Of course, if we're both living it would be double that. Still a possibility though. And there are things we spend money on that we don't have to have.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Live each day to the fullest, Donna, enjoy every minute you can. I’m thankful Joe Biden has tried to make our old age better. No one gives him any praise.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!