Monday, January 26, 2009

Medicare

One of Minnie Pearl's much-used jokes was this: "I'm too young for Medicare and too old for men-to-care."

It appears that I'm no longer too young for Medicare. At least, I won't be after April.

Thanks to the discussion and advice in the comment section of the entry where I asked advice for Pat, I'm much better educated. This just goes to show that when you reach out to help someone, you often receive help yourself in the process.

Ma said, "Even though I'm still working I was told to sign up for Medicare a and b as my insurance coverage changes to a different plan with 65 You might want to check on that with Cliff's coverage. I'd previously thought I get the same, but no, Medicare pays first then my work coverage pays 2nd."

Celeste said, "Listen to Ma. SS also advices you to sign up as you will have to wait until open enrollment if you do not sign up by 65th BD. Most employers insurance change when someone is 65. It usually becomes a supplement policy after that."

And Patsy said, "Donna when you are 65 sign up for medicare, I didn't because I had good insurance and was working. I reasoned even if I had to pay a deductible on my insurance it was better than paying insurance cost for medicare. Guess what when I stopped working the medicare charge was larger because I had not enrolled when I was 65."

So I called our insurance; they don't care if I sign up for Medicare or not. As long as Cliff carries this insurance, I am fully covered. So much for having to pay for Part B.

So I said to myself, "Why worry about it then? I'll wait until Cliff retires."

But your comments concerned me, so I went to the Medicare website.

Ah-HA! It looks like I do need to sign up for Medicare in the three-month period before I turn sixty-five. It appears to me that if I sign up for Medicare A, that won't cost me a cent. I'm sure the people at the Social Security office will advise me further; I'll write down all my questions before I visit them.

Thanks to all of you for your advice.

7 comments:

  1. It seems as tho doctors are not enthused about the fact that they have to take a cut in pay for accepting Medicare payments ... some opt to avoid that patient, or, turn the patient over to a nurse-practioner, or junior doctor. Some services might not be available at all facilities ... so you might have to travel to a different one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you checked it all out. It's good to share thoughts and ideas for sure. I'm thinking this getting older business is not going to be an easy trip and we'll need some friends to help along the way. Have a great Monday!
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad that someone posted you need to go ahead and apply for medicare before you reach 65. I was going to suggest that but I see it has already been suggested. I knew they had Ken to do that. If you had waited a few years down the road then you would have had to pay back premiums to catch up. My x inlaw had to do that. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good information for all of us approaching retirement age. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you're right, don't worry, the ss office will advise you...& don't be shy to ask questions!
    been on ss for many yrs now.
    huggies...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i didn't know of this since I went on SS before I was 65.. so I received my medicare card "automatically".. unless you tell them you DON"T want it. The whole thing still bothers me..so far the only thing I've found will run me half of what I get from SS.. it upsets me no end. I know I have to learn to live with it but you always wonder ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to be of service.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!