Monday, January 12, 2009

My Christmas present to myself

As I get older, my mind wanders back more and more to things I once loved, things I haven't thought about in years. And I always wonder if there's some way to get just one more glimpse/feel/sound/taste of something long-gone. Often this will lead me to Ebay, where I've purchased such seemingly useless items as a metal coffee can from back when coffee cans opened with a key, or a fifty-year-old can of Cashmere Bouquet talcum powder because Grandma used to use it, and it reminds me of her fragrance. I once bought a "Simon Says" on Ebay because I used to play with the one we gave my daughter for Christmas, and it was so much fun.

So in the midst of my annual Christmas nostalgia, for some reason I recalled a TV show from the '70's, "Barney Miller". I wondered why I had never seen it on TV in syndication. The show was hilarious, and I wished there were some way I could watch just an episode or two of it, for old times' sake. Or maybe somewhere on the Internet I could buy just a season or two and laugh, once again, the way I used to laugh out loud at Fish and Wojciehowicz.

Would they really be as funny as I remembered?

I found a site that was selling all eight seasons for $59. I thought it over for a few minutes, knowing full well that sometimes you can't go home again. Some things I thought were hilarious in the '70's can only be described as corny, or even stupid, when viewed in 2008.

I saw no mention of closed captions, so I figured if I got the DVD set, I'd be watching the shows alone; Cliff can't make out much that's being said on TV without captions.


But I took the plunge (Merry Christmas to me); and last Saturday the mailman brought us a package from China (!?!) that had to be signed for.

The picture quality isn't that great; but I've watched the first two episodes, and I haven't laughed so hard since.... well, maybe since 1975! Cliff stood in the living room waiting for his ride to show up, watching the first episode with me; and he made out enough of the dialogue to put him in stitches, too.

I wonder how long it will take me to get through seven seasons?

4 comments:

  1. if i could i would get all the seasons of "home improvement" Its the only one that makes me laugh out loud! Too funny! I hope you injoy your gift to yourself donna...

    :)
    loopers

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great. Laughter is the best thing you can do. The most I ever laughed was when I saw the movie Home Alone. The antics of that little boy by himself kept me laughing all the way through.
    Have fun with the rest. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:13 PM

    They stopped with the NYPD Blue discs at season 3, I believe it is. Wouldn't you know it -- 4, 5 and 6 are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents have that affinity with old shows...they will find collections of shows they used to watch for a bargain and get them every once and a while. I can't say I have done this yet, but I do like to watch the old Star Treks or old Twilight Zones if I catch them on. Totally classic! :) Kelly

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!