Friday, January 09, 2009

More things that make you go "hmmm"

Here's how Cliff dictated his thoughts to me:

"While cruising on my motorcycle with the love of my life, I came across a junkyard filled with the cars of my youth. They were all rusted, sinking into the ground. I knew that once, under some of those hoods, throbbed a magnificent 427 engine, now long-since froze up. The crankshaft had quit turning a long time ago. The memories are as lively as I remember the back seats of those old cars to be. I had to stop and gaze at those old automobiles, if only for a moment, to relive those days. Sad to say, I was never able to own one of the muscle-cars. I spent my life as an economy-vehicle person. But I've never lost the vision."








There are lots of peculiar junk yards out there, folks. Neat ones; sloppy ones.

This one is unique because it's filled with really old cars and trucks. It doesn't look like anybody has touched them for years. Sort of like a "ghost" junk yard. It's somewhere in Lafayette County, Missouri. I persuaded Cliff to pull over and let me take some pictures. Click on them to make them larger and see if you can pick out old models that are familiar to you.

We saw an Edsel and a '59 Chevy and a '57 Chevy; Cliff recognized dozens of cars from his past.

6 comments:

  1. Now those are the cars I remember the names of... sad to see them smashed and rusted though
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Junk yards seem to me like graveyards full of memories...
    holding on to the good ones is what it's all about .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to look at old cars. Nice entry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Someday I hope you will have that dream car Donna! I loved the title to your entry!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that is a junkyard! It is just old cars....Hmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have many in our area..some small, some big. Seems like the smaller ones are always the interesting ones. I liked reading Cliffs thoughts...very poetic.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!