Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Success!

I do believe the guys got things fixed yesterday!  They finally found the real problem, which wasn't with the actual pump or with an O-ring, but with the plumbing on the pipe that brings the water up to our level and sends it to our homes... ours and the grandson's.  At the very top of the pipe through which the water travels to get to us, which attaches to the pump a hundred feet below at the bottom of the well. The fitting at the top of said pipe had actually eroded a tunnel where water could escape.  Here it is in my husband's hand, next to the replacement fitting:


 The guys couldn't find a fitting that size in the nearest towns, so they had to go to Blue Springs, where they were told there were no fittings of that size available; then the guy waiting on them remembered there had been some fittings returned.  Thank goodness, one of those was the right size.  

This being the last you'll hear about the well problems until some new disaster occurs, I took a picture of the hole in the ground where our old well is.  It still holds the box where they turn the pump off when they're working on it.  Also a tank that makes pressure to lift the water up to us.  Once in awhile it gets "water-logged", but I won't explain all that boring stuff.  It isn't a big problem, and could be totally fixed by buying a new pressure tank.


As for the huge leak that started near the barn later in the day Monday, Cliff can't imagine why that happened at the same time they were working on the well.  I think that after the water had been turned off for hours that day and Arick turned it back on, the lines bled back some of the water in them and had gotten air in them that compressed and caused what was already a small leak in a cracked fitting into a gusher, but my husband isn't so sure... and what do I know about this, really?  Nothing.  Anyhow, it gave them two separate problems to solve instead of one.  I have told Cliff for a long time that I thought we had a leak someplace, because the light that lets us know when the pump is running was coming on too often.  Sometimes when Arick (the grandson) wasn't at home, and Cliff and I hadn't been doing any flushing or hand-washing, I'd look out and see the light on.  But as in other situations, I have learned to shut up about such things; after all, I'm not the one who has to repair them.

Now, on to happier things.

When we went to Iowa on Labor Day weekend and came home, Mama Kitty wasn't here; she often seems to disappear when we're gone, and I often announce her death prematurely; I think she gets mad at us for leaving and goes away to pout.  The cats always get fed while we're gone, thanks to the grandson.  But this time she came back not looking well and throwing up her food every time she ate.  I babied her and soaked the food for her, but she was only showing up about once a day to eat and the rest of the time I didn't even see her around.

Well, she's back to normal for a 13-year-old, outside cat.  She hangs around the porches much of the day, waiting for me to pet her.  And yesterday, I noticed she was back in the tree-climbing business.

Grooming herself

"What are YOU looking at?"

The longer she lives, the more I appreciate this wise old mama cat.

8 comments:

  1. The pump's hole pic was interesting. I envisioned a muddy hole 2 feet wide. Hope all of the repairs work for a very long time. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope the well is fixed and won't give any more trouble. Mama cat is very resilient; I admire her for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing worse than a plumbing problem. I hope that fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a groove eroded like that through threads. I wonder if something got threaded into it when assembling initially that helped wick moisture and cause the erosion.

    My guess is that what caused the break was water hammer. When turning off and on a valve with one side pressurized and the other not, the resulting shock wave can cause stuff like that. It happens all the time on a much larger scale in our municipal water system when they turn the water back on after a fix only to break the line somewhere further down the line. I am friends with the head of the water department and he says they have to encourage new hires to slowly open up the valves to reduce the water hammer effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may be right about something getting threaded into it. Sounds like that could happen.

      Delete
  5. I remember these days, but not fondly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had lots of plumbing issues at the campground and I do not miss it! My Cujo was only 11 or 12 and losing him has me sadder than I want to be. My cat is also 11 and Toni Louise is 13. I don't think I could handle another loss right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grief is a hard thing, and stays with a person for a long time. That's the only problem about having pets; they don't live as long as we do. When I got my dog Gabe as a puppy five years ago, I thought, "Well, at my age, maybe I'll die before he does."

      Delete

I love comments!