Thursday, September 15, 2022

This and that

Cliff came home from his ear doctor appointment with homework!  Actually, it's a book that tells him what to expect from cochlear implant, some facts about it, some things he will need to know, and choices; there are various types (brands?) of cochlear implants and he has to choose one; a lady told me in the comment section of a recent blog entry which one she chose.  She only had 13% hearing, and now it's 88%.  She got the Advanced Bionics.  

Old Mama Kitty disappeared for a couple of days and came back looking skinny.  She's done this many times in the past.  I have known for a long time her teeth are bad because she seems to swallow her cat food whole and often vomits it back up.  Since Blue wasn't around when I first saw her outside, I gave her a little packet of Sheba wet cat food and she devoured it.  A little later she got up on the table on the back deck where I feed both cats, acting hungry.  She took one little piece of the dry food I've always given them and stepped back.  So I got the second little cat bowl, put dry food in it, and soaked it with water; she gobbled it down!  This morning I put one bowl with dry food, one with soaked food:  Blue sniffed the soaked food and went to the dry, while Mama Kitty sniffed at the dry food but ate the wet.  I mustn't leave the soaked food out there long, though, because the flies will lay eggs in it.

I believe the flies know winter is coming.  I haven't had flies in the house all summer long, but now they almost wrestle me to get in the door before I can get in.  We seem to have two fly swatters busy every day.

Cliff bought an old finish mower, probably from the late 50's, on Facebook Marketplace.  The tires on it were no good, but Cliff had some used tires here that would work.  The mower needed some TLC, but with the grandson's help it was running by the afternoon of the day he brought it home.

Here's the before picture

Here are a bunch of parts that go with it.  There are two pairs of blades, one pair is brand new.


And here it is now; all it needs is paint.


This video was two days ago.  They've done more work on it since that to get it perfect. Cliff has another finish mower that he mows a lot of our  yard with, but it can't cut pasture grass very well.  So he's happy, and had a good project for a couple of days.

About two weeks ago, we got two inches of rain; there's been nothing since, so I've pretty much given up on the garden.  I had late green beans planted, but I'm tired of dragging a soaker hose around the garden, and put the thing up for next year.  About the only thing left that's producing is okra and tomatoes.  Those two inches of rain gave the tomatoes some new growth, and although they aren't too big, they are absolutely delicious.  We had BLT's today!  I'm thankful that rain gave us the gift of more tomatoes. 

I guess that's all for this session.

11 comments:

  1. Sharron5:34 PM

    At least both kitty's will not fight over the same dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Larry had a good finish mower on a little tractor. It’s hooked to a Massey tractor. Logan mows with it a lot. I’m glad I didn’t sell it. We think we will sell the Kubota Back hoe I kept. We haven’t used it. Decisions still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:51 PM

    I am having the same experience with the flies, and there are no dirty dishes or fruit or garbage in the house to attract them. But every time the door opens it's as though the flies are lurking at the door waiting for the opportunity to flock inside. I have a fly swatter right beside me as I type this and have been killing flies all week and still they keep coming inside. I love Fall and Winter, and will be so thankful when it gets cold enough that all the flies and mosquitoes have either died or moved on to warmer climes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, wasn't logged in for the first comment, but it's me, Diane.

      Delete
  4. Hooray for hearing homework! My word understanding improved, which is a better measure of improving the hearing. For just "hearing volume," my left ear went from 5% left to 100%, but the new cochlear implants improve word understanding SO much more than any hearing aids.
    Check out the Advanced Bionics and have their regional rep contact you! My inclusion in conversations and being able to hear soft stuff is nice. You DO have to practice with it, step by step, to "wake up" your brain that your ear is hearing stuff again. When you hear something new, you're supposed to get up and go find it. I did that with my fridge motor. After activation, they have all kinds of ways to practice with the new ear, using websites or even without computer programs, like reading out loud. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps my husband to hear from someone who has been through this. Thanks for speaking up!

      Delete
  5. Linda has such great advice! I hope the implant works well for Cliff. I had no idea what that mower was until I watched the video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That may explain why all of a sudden I've been swatting lots of flies inside our house after months without seeing a single one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, somehow they know winter is coming. I hope that doesn't mean we'll have a horribly COLD winter!

      Delete
  7. I could sure use that mower on my property. I've been infested with gnats all summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We got some rain the other day and was so happy, but we need a lot more over here too. Your BLT sounds wonderful. I haven't had one of those in such a long time.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!