Tuesday, September 06, 2022

Oh, September

September is the month when I used to begin my downhill slide into depression.  I'm hoping my little pills help me with that again like they did last year.  Cliff and I had a good enough time at Old Threshers in Iowa, thanks to the fact we rented scooters; we wouldn't have made it an hour, had we been on foot.  The temperatures weren't bad and people were friendly, as they always are in Mt. Pleasant.  

However, the trip there and back was more boring than usual because we have trouble conversing now, due to Cliff's lack of hearing.  Often, it doesn't even help for me to scream out my words because that only garbles the sound.  He used to listen to his SiriusXM radio in the shop all the time; he's told me to get rid of it now, because he can't enjoy it.  When he turns it up, it's garbled and he often can't even recognize what song is playing.  Thank goodness for captions on the television, or he couldn't even enjoy it.  I used to read on long trips, and we both enjoyed that so much; more recently, I checked out audio library books on the Libby app on the iPad, and we listened together.  That's a thing of the past.  He does qualify for a cochlear implant, but it looks like it will be some months before he gets it as he goes through all the procedures medicare demands; then after he receives it, he'll have to learn how to use it and understand it.  At least there is that one ray of hope.

We got Gabe home from the kennel and the next day, realized he had a stomach problem.  We took his usual food with him, so I don't know what the problem could be.  Maybe he picked up something from another dog.  Saturday night I was up three times cleaning up messes, and could hardly go back to sleep for the awful smell.  I gave him rice cooked in chicken broth, but he didn't eat much of that.  This morning, I opened up a can of pumpkin and he ate about a tablespoon full of it.  I do think he's improving now.

I'll share a few pictures from our Iowa adventure, and that'll be it for this entry.

The first thing he did was look at the Oliver tractors, featured this year.

  



Cliff forgot his hair brush and used his toothbrush to comb his hair instead for the three days we were there.  Yes, there was a Walmart in town, but why bother?









The high point of the trip for me was seeing the Country Gold show Thursday night.  93-year-old Leroy VanDyke had just gotten over covid, but emceed the whole show after singing his old hits from the 70's, still sounding like he did as a young man.  The other entertainers were good too.  I felt sorry for Cliff, though; his ears don't let him enjoy any kind of music these days.

I still have okra and corn in the garden, as well as a few tomatoes.  Also many, many weeds.  At this point, the weeds can just stay there.

We have a foggy morning here.  Enjoy your day!

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. Mt. Pleasant is my hometown and I'm glad you enjoyed the reunion! What kind of pills help with winter depression, or I can go look at last year's blog. Best wishes to Gabe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A prescription from my doctor, Lexapro, only I take the generic form. I'm sure it doesn't work for everyone, but it really helped me out of a depression during Covid and all the political nonsense going on.

      Delete
  2. My legs are always pretty heavy when we end a day at the Reunion. We had good weather for it this year even if it was a bit warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would one of those over-the-counter hearing aides work for Cliff? How would he hear a siren or train whistle when driving? I suppose you could tell him, eh? Don't tell the license bureau he can't hear or they won't renew his driver's license! :-( I sure hope Gabe gets better soon. Maybe a vet visit is in order? I remember we boarded our dogs once... and they both came home sick, with one spending 3 days in the hospital. So that was the end of the boarding....we just stayed home. I'm sure your happy pills will help you this year too, Donna, if they worked last time. I'll be praying for you as I did last time too. I'm glad the scooters made your trip more bearable. I'd definitely need a scooter too!!! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing aids no longer work at all for him. That's why he needs the implant. He's had very good hearing aids for years, each set better than the last. They just don't work for him any more. In fact, that's the reason he has been approved for the cochlear implant... because nothing else helps him.

      Delete
  4. That would be frustrating and discouraging. Poor Cliff! (and you) Hope the implant helps and that the adjustment to it is fairly easy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If he qualifies for the implant, tell them to hurry up! I got one in my left ear and they are DANDY! It helps to understand the words MUCH better (I went from 13% word understanding to 88%.) Increasing the volume does not fix a lot of hearing losses. The implant returns the ability to understand words and hear things I haven't heard in a long time, like in 45 of my 68 years. I could HEAR the cat scratching the post, not just see it do that. I got an AB implant: Advanced Bionics. I researched the 3 brands and like it's features best. AB has a wonderful regional support team to guide you through the entire process. Check them out on the web. Yep, ya gotta get used to sounds again, but it's fun going to "find" what the new sounds are. I heard a cop siren in a closed window car BEFORE I saw the lights. Nope, it wasn't a cop for me. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I lost hearing in left ear. Appt Oct. 20. Hope it’s just clogged up. I say what and huh a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wear one hearing aid but I need two.Unfortunately I don't have that kind of money.. I just deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearing aids will soon be available over the counter. Maybe you will be able to get one of those.

      Delete

I love comments!