Friday, September 09, 2022

Every morning it feels like fall

It may get hot after noon, but these lovely mornings whisper to tell me autumn is near.  The moon was lovely this morning, too.

Gabe is fine.  I noticed yesterday his dog food was infested with little black bugs, and I think that's what kept him sick.  That's what I get for buying a huge bag of food to save money, thinking it would be fine as long as I kept it in a tightly sealed container.  Since we aren't near a store, I borrowed some dog food from the next-door grandson.  Yes, I know you shouldn't change a dog's food, but it's better than driving twenty miles after his regular Purina Pro Plus.  In fact, I may change him over to what the grandson's dogs eat; Gabe actually chews it.  He's always eaten so fast he didn't take time to chew his food properly.  

He's on heartworm meds, so I don't worry about him getting worms of any kind; some of you mentioned you thought it might be worms.  

With these cool mornings, I want to see if I can go for my walk in the woods again, so I asked Cliff to mow my paths when he has the little John Deere out.  My knees don't hurt as bad when I'm walking barefoot in the grass at a slow pace; I hope that hasn't changed, although I'm sure it will someday. 

Next weekend the Kansas City Chiefs play.  It will be interesting to see how they do, with so many new players, and the loss of some talented old ones.  We got rid of Directv, so I am truly hoping I've made the best choices on streaming professional football and recording them so Cliff can watch them later, zooming past commercials as he's always done.  I've chosen the highest-priced Sling streaming services (fifty dollars), although it's half-price for the first month.

------------

I wrote everything to this point yesterday, and decided it made too short an entry.  Gabe is very much back to normal in every way, and was as glad to go for a walk in the woods as I was.  I made it all the way without my knees hurting too much (they always hurt somewhat, except when I'm in bed).  I was overwhelmed with a feeling of peace as soon as I started walking toward the woods, and my time actually in the woods made it an even more joyous peace.  It always helps to be barefoot:  Even back before I can remember, I've loved to feel my bare feet in the grass.  I know this because my parents said I never liked to have shoes on.  To top off all those emotions I felt, my cottonwood tree whispered to me as I was almost back home.  Now I remember once again where the center of the earth is; that's a play on words from one of my favorite movies, Little Big Man.  

Jack Crabb I don't understand it, grandfather, why would they kill women and children?  Old Lodge Skins Because they are strange. They do not seem to know where the center of the Earth is.

The one thing I prize about the place where I live is my access to that little piece of God-given nature.  I wouldn't trade that for any kind of fancy house.  

Peace.

10 comments:

  1. I'm glad that Gabe is better and that you got your barefoot walk. Unlike you, I don't like going barefoot. It may be because I stepped on a banana slug as a child and it was utterly revolting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still step on slugs once in awhile, although I've learned now to take the flashlight with me if I'm going outside. I have also stepped on wasps and snakes. I don't like doing it, but it's not enough to make me stop going barefoot.

      Delete
  2. I don't know if you have access to a freezer large enough to put Gabe's food in, but I always toss any type of grain product in for 24 hours to kill any buts or nits that might be hiding in there. Since I've started doing that I haven't had any issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cliff suggested that, but my freezer is so full of peaches and strawberries, there isn't that much room. I already have to dig around everything to find what I'm looking for.

      Delete
  3. I grew up 50 miles from any stores. Those years still carry over today when I try to stock up for the entire week despite living just a couple miles from the store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have a store about 10 miles in each direction, but they are small-town stores and don't carry many kinds of dog food.

      Delete
  4. I had a wonderful surprise from one of you in with a "Thinking of you"card. I don't know any other way anyone would know my needs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad Gabe is ok. I used to store dry dog food in a metal can with a metal lid to keep out moisture and bugs. Usually anti-heartworm meds have the other meds in them to prevent round worms and tape worms, but sometimes they're separate. You are a real barefoot person! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am always happier when my fur babies are thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm happy that Gabe is feeling better and you too! Thank goodness! The Japanese love to do forest bathing which is just walking in the woods. I haven't done it in such a long time. I'm glad it brought you peace.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!