Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Not much to say today

I was feeling a little depressed a couple days ago and then realized the problem:  I'm mostly done with the project that kept me busy and happy all spring and summer, and I was mourning that fact.  I miss my gardening; once I recognized the problem, I got over it.  

I've been doing a lot of reading:  Several days ago I decided to read George Orwell's The Animal Farm.  It was written in 1954, but I remembered it being on the recommended reading at some point in high school in the 60's; several students read it and did book reports on it, but it didn't sound interesting to me.  I decided at my ripe old age to give it a try.  It's a short book, and I'd have already returned it except that the latest Chet-and-Bernie book finally arrived on the iPad:  I'm a bit bored with Animal Farm anyway, but I kept it on my "bookshelf" on the Libby app.  I'll try to finish it, but I get the point already.  Now I'm done with Bark to the Future, but another book that's been on hold forever arrived on my bookshelf:  It's the third book by Mike Rowe's mother, who became a published author at the age of 80.  It isn't very long either, so I'm sure I'll get back to Orwell before it disappears from the iPad.

Peggy Rowe had her son, Mike, write the foreword for all three of her books.  Here's a small piece of what he wrote for her in this third book:

I did a screenshot of this particular section because I know many bloggers who would love to be the author of a book someday.  That isn't a wish of mine, because I know I don't have the patience for that.  Even the idea of taking on such a task scares me to death.  But I've seen bloggers who say that's something they'd like to do.  If you're one of those, you have a cheerleader in Peggy Rowe.

Oh yes, and I have a David Rosenfelt book on my shelf, too.  I've been reading his books in order lately.  

Now, about a movie on TV:  I seldom watch movies because they go on so long and take more of my time than I prefer, but last evening Cliff and I found ourselves sitting on the couch at 5:30 and I turned on the TV.  I went to Hulu thinking to watch something that wouldn't last long, but was distracted by a Robin Williams movie that was available... Fisher King.  I had no idea what it was about, but I like Robin Williams and set out to watch it; Cliff is always telling me what kind of movie I would like and what kind I won't like, so I decided to show him I could settle down and watch a complete movie.

If it hadn't been for my intent to show my husband, I wouldn't have made it through the first twenty minutes, because I don't care for fantasy, make-believe, whatever you call it.  But I sat and watched it as though I were enthralled!  About half-way through, I realized it was more of a fairy tale, or at least that's what it seemed to me; so I got into it and enjoyed the last half, just so I could show Cliff I watched a complete movie!  Then I had to explain it to him.  It was just a version of King Arthur's knights and the chalice, set in modern times.  He was looking at his laptop most of the time, but what he saw of it made no sense to him.

And now you know what I've been doing instead of house-cleaning:  Reading, watching a movie, and adding a new entry to my blog

7 comments:

  1. I think I need more than one cup of cool water to get me to the finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of that sounds great. I recall the Fisher King as not one of my favorite of Robin Williams' movies, but I haven't seen it in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you could compile a good book just from your blog posts! I'm reading Peggy Rowe's first book about her Mom right now and all of the chapters are like stand-alone blog entries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were as funny as she is, I might think about it... but no. I do love her stories!

      Delete
  4. I'm spending my time working on the 50+ year family photo project. Once that gets done, I might go stir crazy since a lot of my previous activities got cut with the pandemic. Our zumba teacher moved to Seattle. Used to do that twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A friend of mine, Marilyn, suggested to me this afternoon that I write a book. I told her no one but me would be interested in reading it.She disagreed! She thinks I have had an interesting life..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you for going outside your comfort zone. I need to work on that!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!