Tuesday, September 20, 2022

A trip to the Truman Library

We've visited the Truman library several times, but they recently updated it and I've been anxious to see the result, so Cliff agreed to take me.  To read about the renovation of the Truman Library, click HERE.  I was quite impressed with what they've done, and was rather surprised to see so many visitors there on a Monday.  

My parents were not fans of President Truman, but after I grew up, I've always loved him; he talks like any Missouri farmer would, and wasn't afraid to speak his mind.  I admire the fact that  he loved his wife fiercely and loyally, writing letters to her almost daily when they were apart.  Cliff and I have both read, or listened, to the book Truman twice, and have great admiration for him.

I wish I had thought to take a picture of the outside of the library, but having been there so many times before, I didn't even think about it.  I took a few pictures as we went through the library, but most of them are snippets of things he said, because that's what I like about him.

These are some childhood things that belonged to Truman's only daughter, Margaret

The Truman's wedding day

Somebody thought this  picture was a good idea; Bess Truman, however, did not.




Patton was not a fan of Truman


There was an attempt to assassinate Truman.  Having spent plenty of time as a captain in the field artillery in France during World War I, he wasn't too worried about it.


4 comments:

  1. My parents loved Truman but they're Dems so they would. He seemed like a frank and funny guy--very forthright. A breath of fresh air in politics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've stopped at a handful of presidential libraries but for some reason, never the Truman one even though it is so close to us. We need to remedy that the next time we are in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool. I have never been to a presidential library. I should make that a goal.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!