Tuesday, September 13, 2022

A poem that came to me while walking

My  walk these days takes about 45 minutes.  I had such a wonderful time on my walk Saturday, partly because a poem started coming to me.  It isn't anything great, but I had fun with it, so I'm going to share it with you.

Barefoot in the Grass 

Donna Wood 9/13/2022


When I was just a baby Mama put shoes on my feet

She even bronzed a few of them, for memories are sweet.

But when I started walking, I’d take off my  shoes and socks

And run outside to wander over dirt and grass and rocks.

My friends were mostly in my head, and they were barefoot too.

Mainly wild Indians who made me an Indian too!

From early spring through autumn, oh, the time went by so fast:

Just me, my tribe, and Jesus going barefoot in the grass.


My teenage years were awkward; I had hardly any friends;

And I kept to my own self, thinking school would never end.

But afternoons, when I got home, I’d walk inside the door

And put those shoes beneath my bed, abandoned on the floor.

Missouri winters freeze the ground, and that’s when I wore shoes;

(I’ve walked in snow while barefoot, but it isn’t what I’d choose.)

But once the sap was rising, and sweet springtime came to pass,

You’d see me outside smiling, walking barefoot in the grass.


And now I’m nearing 80.  All the neighbors think it’s strange

To see me outside, barefoot.  Ah, but I’m too old to change!

I still get that same feeling as I did when I was small,

I almost see those Indians in my head, and hear them call.

My feet were meant to touch the ground and feel old Mother Earth.

I can’t walk far or fast, but barefoot walking still has worth.

And I’m sure God will find me, when my journey ends at last…

Just me, my dog, and Jesus walking barefoot in the grass.

9 comments:

  1. I love your poem. You have a lovely way with your words. I was outside for a moment in my bare feet this morning and was wishing I HAD my shoes on. haha~ Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an excellent and evocative poem, Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a neat poem! You are very talented!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved your poem. I can’t go barefoot outside as I’m a tenderfoot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE it, Donna. Very very nice! ~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use to live to go bare foot in my younger days, but stepped on some bees and got stung bad in my forties and I think that's why I stopped. They say or helps your health to go barefooted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:10 PM

    I’ve always been a barefoot girl as long as I have lived
    Not changing in my later years
    It’s a gift God gave to me. I love your poem. ❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!