Friday, September 23, 2022

Various things

I've been trying to find a new, old-fashioned, hand egg beater.  I go through one every couple of years, it seems.  One time years ago I mentioned my egg-beater breaking, and a reader of mine sent me one that had belonged to her mother.  That one probably lasted five years or so.  Now, years later, I realize it was the dishwasher that led to its death.  At least I got a lot of use out of it until I got a dishwasher, which is gone now, by the way.  It's the only dishwasher I ever had, so I thought I was in high cotton until I realized, after seven or eight years, I'd just as soon do them by hand and passed it along to my daughter.  But I digress.  The small Walmart at Oak Grove didn't seem to have any hand egg-beaters, so I went to Amazon, of course.  There were many of them, but the one I just broke the other day was a bit different-looking; I loved the way it worked, and have a feeling I killed it by using it on a too-heavy batter.  Usually all I do with hand beaters is mix all the liquid ingredients for a recipe, as for pancakes, corn bread, and so forth, before I mix in the dry ingredients.  It just seems so much  easier to get it out of the drawer, use it, wash it with the dishes, let it dry, and put it back in the drawer, than to get out an electric mixer, hunt up the beaters, plug it in, use it, then clean the whole thing, wrapping the cord around it before I put it up.


Oh, by the way, it's $22 dollars.  Yes, I could buy a cheap electric hand mixer for that price, but I already have one of those.  I like my hand egg-beater for mixing liquids.

We are saving money with our television-watching, though.  We got rid of DirecTv three or four months ago.  We only kept it for the DVR, because Cliff likes to record most football games and watch the next day, speeding through the commercials.  I finally found a way to do the same thing on streaming services much cheaper.  DirecTv was costing us almost $100 monthly, every month of the year.  I learned that Hulu, for $75 a month, would let us record the same games and watch them later, fast-forwarding the ads.  It's not quite as simple to use as DirecTv was, but it works.  And we only pay that $75 for the five months of the football season; I might have been able to make it only four months, actually.  When the season ends. we change our plan on Hulu for one that costs $12.99 the rest of the year, or maybe even leave Hulu for awhile and get a different streaming service.  We only use one paid streaming service at a time, but we also have Prime, which is part of Amazon Prime, and PBS (Public Television); we send them a five dollar contribution each month and get to watch any of their programs at any time.  We're always watching something British on that one; at present, we're watching Grantchester.  

So when Cliff complains about how he misses DirecTv, I try to remind him that we are saving at least $700 yearly and he still gets his football without commercials.

Looks like autumn is here in full force now, and I always have to listen to this song in September.  Nobody does it better than Ella.


October and November have their own songs.  

Peace.

9 comments:

  1. I remember my mom having one of those things but I don't think she used it for eggs. She just whisked eggs with a fork, the same thing I do today. Yeah, dishwashers ruin a lot of stuff. There was one here when we moved-in 27 years ago and I used it off and on...but it had a tendency to turn some of my dishes "tan" on the edges, almost like it was "burning" them. When it finally died, hubby jerked it out & built shelves in the space the dishwasher vacated. ~Andrea xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only do dishwashers ruin stuff like that but it simply isn't made like it used to be. The metal is a lot thinner and often times made of inferior pot metals.

    I have lived a long time and rarely use a mechanical beating device except for making whipped cream, stiff egg whites, etc. For what you are describing, I just use a whisk with no moving parts. Works well and they are hard to destroy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it may go back to memories of Mother, Grandmother, and all my aunts having those, although not like the one I'm buying. My mom never had a mixer of any kind until I was out of her house. She would stir cake batter as she was beating it with a tablespoon, counting the strokes sometimes up to 300 strokes.

      Delete
  3. I most often use a fork unless I must use an electric beater. As you said, it's quite a process getting everything out and connected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll use a whisk or fork for scrambled eggs, but I want eggs for pancakes and baked goods to be completely mixed, and a whisk won't do that; you can still see parts of the egg white with a whisk.

      Delete
  4. I remember the egg beater my mother had, but I don't think I have ever had one. I use my whisks to beat eggs and such. Wonder who named it "egg beater"? Seems odd to have a utensil that is used for just eggs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, egg beaters were used for whipped cream, meringue, lots of things. Never batter, but for the liquid that goes into the batter.

      Delete
  5. My Grandma Howard used a egg beater for everything. Her cakes, and Meringue were better than my Mamma’s. We use Hulu for all my football games; and I watch COZI for reruns and TCM for old movies. Doris Day sings a song called Autumn 🍁 leaves. I love that song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I used to have one of those a long time ago. Then I switched to the electric one. And now I mostly use the stand mixer. I'm very lazy.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!