Monday, September 26, 2022

Oh no!

We live in the country.  We get our water from a well.  We don't have a water bill, but I wish we did have.  When something goes wrong with the well, or the pump, it costs a pretty penny, believe me.  And here I sit at 6 A.M. knowing something is wrong with the pump.

The water is coming from the faucets just fine up, here at our dwelling; but there's a light bulb on a pole that comes on when the pump is running, and it's been on steadily since I got up at 4:30.  So for some reason, the pump is running constantly.  I'll let Cliff sleep, because he can't do anything in the dark.  The grandson has been off work for a couple of weeks with a tricky elbow, but he goes back to work today.  I imagine the pump will have to be pulled, and Cliff and I aren't capable of doing that ourselves.  Cliff will have some ideas as to what might be wrong when he gets up and puts his thinking cap on, but no matter what, that pump has to be pulled up from a hundred feet down in the ground.  I will fill buckets and jars full of water before long, because who knows how long it will take to fix the problem.  There's a chance the pump has just loosened from the pipe, since we're still getting water at the house.  But it will still have to be pulled out to be fixed.

This has happened several times in the past 50 years, but it always fills me with dread.  In times like these, my mother used to say, "Oh well, at least it isn't a human life."

That's true.  But it sure is a pain in the neck, and at times can be quite an expense.

Beam me up, Scotty.

P.S.  I forgot the grandson is off Mondays, so he will be here to do the hard work and help Cliff troubleshoot.

10 comments:

  1. That's terrible! I hope it's a relatively easy fix...once you get the pump up there. Cliff is very capable about most things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully it is an easy fix. I grew up with a pump in a well but I have been on provided water for so long now I've forgotten about the filling of all containers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pump is probably gunked up with iron & sendiment, eh? If your pump is that old tho, it's probably time to replace it, Donna. Just call the well guys & have them install a new one. The pain & expense of Cliff getting sick over it just isn't worth it. Besides, in town the water bill is usually combined with the sanitation bill....and in most towns that bill is usually $50/mo. Just think... over the last 50 years you've saved $30,000!!!! Now go call somebody & sit back and relax. :-D ~Andrea XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pump is only two years old. This time it seems like it was a minor problem... an O-ring failed.

      Delete
  4. An interesting difference by living in the country. I never thought about such wells causing problems, just "going dry," and Timmy falling in it with Lassie in rescue mode. Good luck! Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our well is only about 12 inches wide, maybe a bit more. None of my family could fit in it, that's for sure. Years ago sand was coming up with our water, and there's nothing to do for that except have a new well drilled... unless you enjoy sand in your water and the food you cook. Talk about expensive!

      Delete
  5. Oh gosh... That's frustrating and unsettling. I sure hope you get it fixed OK. Let me tell you water is extremely expensive here in Hawaii. Problem is the Navy fuel tank leaked into our island aquifer and we're now struggling with them to defuel the tanks so they don't totally ruin our water supply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would not be good! Makes me mad that somebody doesn't do something for the people in Detroit. I hope Hawaii doesn't have to deal with that kind of problem!

      Delete
  6. I take my water and power for granted most of the time. And the sewer. Hope it's not too difficult (r expensive) a fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The grandson thinks the problem is solved, without having to pull the pump out. We shall see.

      Delete

I love comments!