Monday, August 29, 2022

Let nothing be wasted

I'm tired.  That's nothing new, because these days, in spite of getting enough sleep, I wake up tired.  However, once I get busy with something, I don't think about how tired I am... and boy, have I been busy.  Most of our meals for the last couple of weeks have been from the garden.  Green beans, tomatoes and sauces made from them, corn, okra (sometimes fried, sometimes smothered), and potatoes.  I've been up to my elbows in tomatoes and peaches, putting them up in the freezer.  

Just for fun, I even canned a few peaches.


 We will soon be going to Iowa to the Old Threshers Reunion, so today it's been a race to leave no peaches, tomatoes, or corn to rot.  I still need to pick some green beans, too, and put them in the refrigerator so I can cook them when we get home.  Oh yes, and we have plenty of pears from a young tree.  For some reason, worms and bugs don't seem to bother pears; after all those wormy peaches (and sweet corn), it's nice to pick up a pear without accidentally ingesting protein in the form of ugly worms. 

Cliff greets me coming in the house with ice cream buckets full of garden stuff and calls me his hunter-gatherer.

We got 6/10 of rain Sunday, and I'm hearing thunder right now.  Maybe the drought is over.  

I need to mop; all this business of cutting corn off the cob, skinning tomatoes, and cutting worms out of peaches is messy.  Maybe tomorrow.  I started cleaning the refrigerator, ran into a problem with a broken shelf, and stopped.  Cliff fixed it, but I'm not doing it this evening.

I'm going to go see about those green beans.  That shouldn't take long.

Peace.

I apologize to those who read this early on.  Talk about misprints!  How does one cut corn off a cop????  Anyhow, Cliff caught my errors and I hope I corrected them all.  I confess I was hurrying to do this entry; one should not rush at such a task.  Also, I'm not at my best in the evening.  

Excuses, I know.  Everybody has them, yada yada yada


8 comments:

  1. What a great harvest! You are very gifted at growing things. I am not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Supposed to be spectacular weather for the OTR. Enjoy your time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excuses....yep, everybody has them....especially us seniors. I don't apologize one wit for mine & I don't think you should either, my friend. You sound *very* busy so be careful, kiddo. Nobody ever died from having beans rot on the vine. Enjoy your trip! ~Andrea xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:29 AM

    How wonderful to have all that good food. You have been busy. I can only look back and remember when I used to can things from the garden. Haven't done that in years and years. Good for you being able to still do all of that! Love, ma

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those peaches look so good. How many trees do you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one. Well, I have another one, but all the peaches fall off that tree without getting ripe.

      Delete
  6. A few peaches? That's a lot. I'm so jealous! You are such a hard worker and making me feel quite lazy. I need to go hang laundry or something.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!