Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Almost sunrise, with peaches on my schedule

I just realized something, as daylight slowly brightens up the sky:  I still get excited for a new day when I realize the sun is about to come up.  Seriously, my heart leaps with the realization I have another day ahead of me.

I've been peeling, cutting up, and dissecting peaches for a week.  The dissecting part of the work is because the peaches are wormy, and I don't want to eat any worms... or any of their tunnels inside the fruit, either.  Sometimes I throw away a larger part of the peach than I keep.  I have a lot of them picked, waiting for them to ripen.  They are on the front porch and pack porch, and a few are waiting in the kitchen.  I will freeze some in quart bags today. 

Our tomatoes are about to go away with blight, but I am so very thankful we've had all we wanted and more.  There are still some smaller ones ripening, so maybe we'll have B.L.T.'s one more time before they're completely gone. 


That one bucket is on the table where I feed the cats; I feed them there because I don't want the dogs eating their breakfast.  Also, ants and slugs can't get to it.  They'll both be back to eat more before long, but they don't like peaches; so that's my overflow peach place.

I made a peach cobbler yesterday; we had some, still slightly warm, with ice cream for our dinner dessert.  Very good, if I say so myself.


Cliff just got up, so that's my blog entry for  today.  Besides, I think I have a late planting of green beans ready to pick before the sun gets uncomfortably hot.

Peace.

4 comments:

  1. I often spend time dissecting apples and peaches too. I suppose I could spray them but I prefer not having to worry about timing or what I might ingest later and we rarely say after dissecting and preserving that if only we had a few more to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love peaches although it's hard to get good ones from the grocery store! I look forward to my morning cup of coffee; it often gets me up when I would rather stay in bed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My chickens would have cleaned your rotten peach mess right up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they would have, and my rotten tomatoes, too. So would a hog.

      Delete

I love comments!