Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Dogs and cats

Shortly after I got out of bed this morning the thunder and lightning began, followed closely by a gentle rain.  Gabe, the dog, was frightened and wouldn't settle down.  He's always been a mess during storms.  He went to the door needing to go out, but when I opened the door and he actually saw the rain, he didn't want to go.  I insisted, but stood on the porch watching and cheering him on.  Blue, the cat, was sitting on the only half-dry portion of the porch.  When Gabe came back in, I allowed Blue to follow him.  Normally this time of year I don't let him in because of shedding, but he looked pitiful there on the porch.  He has an entire barn he could go to for shelter, but he's a good cat and deserves some special attention from time to time.

Blue is not afraid of the weather.  Thunder is nothing to him, it's as though he doesn't even hear it.  When he came inside, he ran straight to his scratching post as he always does first thing.  Then he roamed from one end of the trailer house to the other, I guess just to make sure everything was the same as it was last winter.  He seemed to want in the chair with me, but since I had a laptop on my lap and Gabe beside me cowering from the storm, there wasn't a place for him.  He went to the door to the back porch and began softly meowing at me.  He wanted some breakfast; normally I feed him and Mama Kitty outside on the deck, but since it was raining, I gave him some cat food and shut him in the  porch so Gabe wouldn't eat it.  When I saw the cat's paw reaching under the door, I let him back in with us.

Awhile after that, I realized I hadn't seen Blue for awhile; I did notice Gabe was sitting a little in front of me, as calm as could be.  I asked him where the cat was, and he got up and quickly went to his bed, which is right beside my chair.  That's where the cat was.  I thanked him for finding the cat, who is almost invisible lying in that dog bed.  Gabe returned to his place near my feet and lay down, calm as you please.

That's when I realized he hadn't been scared of the storm after I let Blue, the cat, in.  Somehow Blue's calm demeanor rubbed off on Gabe!

This got me wondering:  Are any cats afraid of storms?  Blue wasn't even worried about the fact that he was slightly wet, out on the porch.  It's something I've never thought about.  Most dogs are scared of storms, but maybe cats aren't.  I do know Blue and Mama Kitty are scared of fireworks, but that's a totally different thing... fire streaking through the sky, earthshaking booms... who wouldn't be scared?

Apparently Gabe simply soaked up Blue's calmness and is now at ease, although it's still raining outside.  Very interesting.

Blue in Gabe's bed, sleeping through the storm

Gabe, calm as he can be, beside my footstool, five feet away from Blue

I believe Gabe has his own emotional support animal.  

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:09 AM

    Both Sunny and Butchie are terrified of rain and thunder. They reside under my bed during a storm. Maybe that's where they get, "scared cat' from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had house cats before Blue came, so he's showing me a lot of cat things I didn't know about. Since you have two cats scared of storms, I'm assuming Blue is just being his usual fearless self when storms don't bother him. We've had to take him to the vet two different times when he got in fights with some critter and got some pretty bad wounds,

      Delete
  2. All of our cats have been afraid of the thunder booms, and will slink under the bed at the first clap. However, Jackson is getting so hard of hearing that it has to be a really loud noise to get his attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I posted the link to this entry on Facebook; from what friends are saying there, outdoor or indoor/outdoor cats aren't scared of thunder, but those who always live in a house are.

      Delete
  3. I would love to have a cat again. My contract here forbids it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That really is a shame. Older folks, especially those who live alone, need a pet more than anyone.

      Delete
  4. My dog that passed away was totally scared of storms. The first part of her life she wasn’t but then one day she was terrified. She was an outside dog but wanted in during a storm. Phinnie did not like her getting to come inside and would often pick a fight with her when the storm was over which was often the next day. Dogs are individuals just like humans. Phinnie is jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabe is jealous of any other dog we try to pet, and will growl and threaten them. It's a good thing the grandson's two dogs are good-natured, because they are both bigger than him and could easily kill him. However, they just think he's playing with them and don't mind the growling.

      Delete
  5. Mari is scared of fireworks so I'm assuming she might be a bit scared of storms. We don't generally have noisy ones though. Thunderstorms are rare.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!