Tuesday, April 16, 2024

We got some rain

First of all, I just finished a book called The Berry Pickers, by Amanda Peters.  It's her debut novel.  I really enjoyed it.  The link above will let you know what it's about.

Yesterday we began eating out of the garden; we had wilted lettuce.  Today we had leaf lettuce with salad dressing.  I think I could pick enough spinach for a batch, too.  I brought in four green onions for the wilted lettuce, but they are barely ready to pull up.  We are under a tornado watch, but it looks to me like that's out of the picture.  We had some hard winds this morning, and it's still blowing pretty hard.  On the bright side, we got some rain!  It didn't last long, but it was coming down hard.  My garden even has some water standing in it.


I have strawberries on two corners of the garden, and they are happy to have a drink.  I have watered them the best I can, but it doesn't do as much as rain.

We've had temperatures in the eighties lately, much too hot for April.  We will soon be having six days of temps in the fifties.  Nothing unusual for Missouri.  It does look like I might get away with having planting tomatoes, peppers, my one eggplant, and a lavender plant three weeks early.  The lowest temperature expected for the rest of April is 36° Saturday night. 

I've spent a lot of time in the garden lately, although I can't start my tiller most of the time.  It has problems.  So I have to go get my husband, and he starts it.  I've always just been able to go out and start it up without somebody else having to do it.  One way or another I'm going to buy one.  Cliff refuses to let me buy a used one, so it won't be cheap.

Wish me luck.

Cliff's globe came today.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:24 PM

    Yay for the rain.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cliff is still learning! Amazing. I’ll check out this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for the rain. I wish we could have given you some of ours! Electric start is the way to go. I have so much trouble with pull starts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:04 PM

    Rain is always better. I don't have as much set out. My lettuce didn't sprout. I've got to replant that. Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous9:05 PM

      Rebecca in SW MO

      Delete
  5. Good for the rain! John got caught in some severe weather in Nebraska as well as a tornado watch. We're not accustomed to that here! He had a great time visiting with his dad's relatives in Missouri though so it was worth the trip from Texas. Would that book be a good discussion one for Book Club? I've heard positive reviews of it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got nearly an inch of that rain. It was nice to see standing water though it didn't stand for long before it was absorbed.

    With my last tiller, I got one that was electric start. The battery goes dead but I usually charge it up in early spring and it will be enough to start it all summer long. I find that when I have to just turn a key instead of yanking on a pull cord, I am better at getting it started up without issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The starter isn't the problem. It needs a carburetor. I don't know why he didn't want to fix it, because he'd done it with other tillers, unless he just doesn't want to go to that trouble. And our next-door grandson, who will do anything we need, has a cast on one arm and can't do much right now. My husband had a lot of aches, pains, and dizziness and there are a lot of things he could do, but doesn't enjoy doing any more.

      Delete
  7. Read the Berry Pickers. Thanks for the telling abt it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Read the book you spoke of. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!