Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Good things are happening around here

My garden is going places now!  We've been eating leaf lettuce, and I cooked spinach from the garden, too.  The taste of canned spinach can't compare with cooked fresh spinach.  My first green beans are breaking though the top crust of soil in my garden, and out of ten asparagus roots, nine are now up.  I'm wondering if that one that hasn't showed up yet is even going to appear; I can handle losing one out of ten, though.

Strawberries have been blooming for awhile, and there are some green strawberries on many of the plants.  All the potatoes are up, and have been for awhile.  We've had some close calls with frost warnings, but those all came to nothing.

About that junky old Ford three-cylinder he bought, let me tell you the MAJOR things he did to get it running... not in the proper order:

1. The #2 rod was frozen to the crankshaft.

2.  He totally overhauled the engine.

3.  He soldered the radiator

4.  The intake had a crack in it from someone using starting fluid.  He took a cracked intake to a welding shop because he didn't trust his welding skills.  Next time he says he'd do it himself because of the expense.

5.  The rear end was full of water, so he had to change all the fluids.

But listen to that tractor purr now.

14 comments:

  1. Our lettuce is days away from our first cutting I think. Our peas are up along with carrots and last night, I saw the potatoes were just below the crust of the soil so it won't be long there either. With all the cold weather we have been getting, we haven't yet planted any beans but will this weekend. I ordered new asparagus crowns this winter and have yet to receive them. That reminds me that I need to call and see where they are at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried growing asparagus, but I thought it would be nice to have something that comes back every year that's edible. My carrots and early radishes didn't do well either. I don't think they can stand the cold as well as the other early crops. My early peas were spotty too, but rabbits have eaten early peas many times. I replanted, and those are tall and doing well. I even wrote a poem years ago about the rabbits eating my peas! They don't bother them after they can find clover and such.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous9:53 AM

    Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must give Cliff a great sense of accomplishment. It is purring! My strawberries are blooming but no fruit has formed yet. I'll take your word for the spinach. I like it raw but have never enjoyed it cooked except in things like quiche.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:00 PM

    Wow! Tell Cliff that Tim is impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend Mary has an asparagus patch. It comes back each year. She’s shared a “mess” with me. Do you eat poke sallet in the spring. Granny said sallet not salad. I’ve had it once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, but my mother talked about eating poke salad when she was a kid.

      Delete
  6. Josh Twente9:19 PM

    I had to look up poke salat and lo and behold there is a Southern Living article about it. https://www.southernliving.com/what-is-poke-salad-6824774
    It looks like the preparation is somewhat related to the wilted lettuce my grandma used to make by pouring hot bacon grease over fresh lettuce as a dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous7:37 AM

    Fawteen here. Great to hear from you, I often think of you and Cliff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I came back her specially to see if you'd gotten rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a good chance today and tonight. We'll see.

      Delete
  9. Cliff has did it again!!! He and the grandson need to open a tractor repair shop!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wonderful repair job!! Most of us are enjoying the rain... all except the Phoenix Family fundraiser workers. Our daughter finally made it home soaked after a day getting ready!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh yes! Absolutely! Canned or frozen spinach cannot compare with fresh from the garden. We loved getting bunches of it at the Illinois farmer's markets. Sigh... I don't see it here in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!