Saturday, April 06, 2024

Songs can change a day

I don't listen to a lot of music around the house.  I like music, but I can't have it on for long.  It gets on my nerves.  I read a lot, too, and I never could concentrate on a book with a lot of noise going on.  But this morning something made me think about Creedence Clearwater Revival, and I hunted up the one CD I have of theirs with twenty songs on it.  I can't explain what a good feeling I got listening to those songs, even though not all of them are happy songs.  Now I've been looking for my Bob Seger CD.  These aren't songs from my childhood, but from my children's childhood.  I was introduced to their music and grew to like a lot of it. 

If I knew how to dance, I think I would have danced to my music while I was in the kitchen making potato soup Cliff had asked for:  his older brother Phil was coming over with a broken trailer for him to do some welding on, and Phil loves potato soup; in fact, that's a favorite of all Cliff's relatives.  Every one of them eat sliced raw onion with their potato soup, too.  It's a family tradition, I suppose.  I'm glad I made it, since Phil got four refills!  I like seeing people appreciate my food.

The grandson next door can't do the hard work and lifting for Cliff for the next three months, since his right arm is in a cast and sling; tennis elbow, only more extreme.  They hurried to get all the heavy, hard work done on the project tractor before his operation, so Cliff thinks it will be finished up very soon.  It's put together now, after being in two pieces for months while they waited out the cold days and waited for parts to come.

Cliff's head is back there behind the seat.  My daughter said it was like a "where's Waldo" picture.  Gabe is wondering how it would feel to pee on that big back wheel.

If we're still up for it, Cliff and I are going to Jamesport Monday to shop in the Amish stores and see the sights.  We go about every year.  We'll take a picnic lunch along, because with inflation so high, we just can't justify eating out.

"The Amish settled in Jamesport in 1953 where farm land was affordable and their families could stick together. From the original seven families, there are more than 175 Amish families living in Jamesport now, which makes this settlement the largest old Amish order west of the Mississippi." 

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know any of the history behind the Amish in Jamesport... thank you Neat place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:27 AM

    I can't wait to hear how your trip goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:05 PM

    I love reading abt the Amish! Their lives are so different. I notice the women have very few rights. gallacreek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:11 AM

    I didn’t know such a large Amish community was in Jamesport? I buy vegetables and flowers from the Zimmermans farm every year near Versailles. Sometimes it’s just about the nice drive. The Amish / Mennonites keep their lawns and home steads so clean. If I get to see a buggy and horse that’s a plus. Enjoy your drive today if y’all are able to go. Gabby Gengler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've spent a lot of time at Versailles. My husband was born there, and all his aunts, uncles, and grandparents lived in that vicinity. We've been to lots of the mennenite stores. Cliff's relatives just call them "the Germans".

      Delete
  5. I'd be curious to read your potato soup recipe. It is popular here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Credence and potato soup. I've never heard of eating raw onions with it though. I would probably like it since I do like onions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've driven through Amish areas and eaten at an Amish restaurant. Uuummm.... we got stared at a lot though. It was a bit disconcerting. We didn't visit any stores, but now I wish we had just to see what it would be like.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!