Friday, April 26, 2024

Rainy days

The words of a song from 1921 (my mother would have been nine years old), originally sung by Al Jolson, has been going through my mind since yesterday.  I shouldn't even be familiar with it, but I used to watch Captain Kangaroo as an eleven-year-old on our very first television; he and Mr. Greenjeans often introduced some of the old standard songs and broadway musical tunes that young people could relate to.  So maybe that's where I learned it.

Life is not a highway strewn with flowers,
Still it holds a goodly share of bliss,
When the sun gives way to April showers,
Here is the point you should never miss.

Though April showers may come your way,
They bring the flowers that bloom in May.
So if it's raining, have no regrets,
Because it isn't raining rain, you know, (It's raining violets,)
And where you see clouds upon the hills,
You soon will see crowds of daffodils,
So keep on looking for a blue bird, And list'ning for his song,
Whenever April showers come along.

And where you see clouds upon the hills,
You soon will see crowds of daffodils,
So keep on looking for a blue bird, And list'ning for his song,
Whenever April showers come along.

After three years of drought, we are getting rain; two inches so far.  As I look at the fourteen day forecast, rain and storms are predicted for seven of those days.  I'm not complaining, though.  Better too much than too little.  We are in an area that often floods, but we're on a hilltop.  I may have to get some tall boots in order to wade into the garden to pick spinach and lettuce, though.   

By the way, I just went to Youtube, did a search, and guess what?  


Oh, the memories!

               

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:19 AM

    I actually know this song. When I was in middle school our choir did a concert with a theme from the 1920's and '30's and this song was included. I remember knowing the song even before that, but I can't tell you where I learned it. We have had nearly normal rainfall so far this spring, but it's about time for it to get miserably hot and for the rain faucet to turn off and be drought-y for the summer. Blogger isn't giving me the option to sign in today, so this is Diane@Diane's Place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this rain. They forecasted upwards of 4 inches for us through Sunday. We have about half an inch thus far but it has some down nice and gentle so I'm not complaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely song. I wonder if that's where the phrase "April showers bring May flowers" came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Google. "When the month of April rolls around and you notice it raining outside, there's one phrase you're likely to hear. It begins with "April showers." Can you finish it? If you said, "…bring May flowers," then you're right on track!

      Historians believe this phrase may date back to a 1610 poem, which contained the lines "Sweet April showers, do spring May flowers." A longer phrase, "March winds and April showers bring forth May flowers," has also been traced back to 1886.

      The reference to April showers likely originated in the United Kingdom or Ireland, where the month of April tends to be especially rainy because of the position of the jet stream. The cooler climate in these areas also tends to push back the appearance of many flower species to late April and early May."

      Delete
  4. We're getting April showers too. My grass is very green right now! Glad that the rain is helping with the drought. We needed mountain snow and didn't get much of it this winter. Not great for our farmers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous12:14 PM

      What do farmers grow up there?

      Delete
    2. Anonymous12:14 PM

      That’s me, Donna

      Delete
  5. OH MY GOSH! I remember that song! And I watched Captain Kangaroo too!

    And we've been getting a lot of rain here on Oahu too. In fact, we've been in a bad drought situation for quite a while and now they say we're doing OK. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have rain today too. I know we need rain. It sort a makes me “blue”.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!