Monday, January 05, 2009

cutting losses

I know my regular readers have been following the saga of Secret, the heifer that has been so difficult to get pregnant.

I hope she "took" this time, but experience tells me she probably didn't. Let's face it, folks: she's been pastured with three different bulls now.

That's life on the farm. You learn to cut your losses. In fact, Secret has had a lot more chances than most animals around here, because I've gotten soft in my old age.

I know some of my readers were disappointed when I sold Libby, my little filly. But I've learned to face reality. The time came when I had to admit that I didn't have the nerve or money, or whatever it took, to finish her out.

I will say, Libby left here a much better little horse than when she came. I'm proud of that.

With dogs and cats, it's different. They don't have to be perfect, as long as we humans can put up with their faults. With farm animals, though, there comes a time when you realize you're pouring money into a losing proposition.

I do hope my readers understand if Secret has to go. I probably won't blog about it if she leaves.

However, if it's good news, I'll shout it from the rooftops.


Otherwise, just watch for the next Jersey cow to enter, stage left.

7 comments:

  1. I understand about doing what you have to do, Donna. We raised our own beef, pork, chickens, etc. Daddy always told us kids not to get attached to the food animals but he was the one who found something to do in the house while my brother in law did the dirty deed, then he'd come back out and help butcher the steer or hog.

    Here's hoping you'll have another little Secret soon, but hamburger and steaks are good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do understand but it's never easy for me accept what happens. It's hard and I'm still hoping for success with Secret.

    deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well we are hoping for a little calf come spring! Wouldn't that be nice. 'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope we have a little calf soon! But, if Secret has to go....where do you send her? To the butcher? I'm just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor secret. I understand you have to do what you have to do but I know you have become attached to her. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hoping for the best, but you've got to do what you've got to do...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some cube steak sounds good.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!