Friday, February 24, 2012

The gardening has started

Yesterday I planted sugar snap peas, lettuce, cabbage, and beets.  The grass has started growing with the warm days we've had lately, so I decided my garden may as well be growing too.  I only planted things that won't be harmed by a freeze or snow.  
Planting the seeds is the easy part.  Of the things I planted, I see only one that will likely be trouble-free:  beets.  That is one vegetable that has never given me a problem.  I'll have to dust the cabbage to keep the worms from consuming them.  The peas and lettuce will likely be eaten by rabbits before they get any size to them.  And I'll will be left wondering why I even bother.  This reminds me of a poem I wrote in April of 1992:
  
There's a gorgeous spring day in the making,
And a peach-blossom scent on the breeze;
So I know I should be quite contented,
But the rabbits are eating my peas!
The sun shines, with no cloud to dim it,
And the birds twitter, up in the trees ---
But out in my early spring garden,
The rabbits are eating my peas!
On a beautiful morning like this one
My heart should be light as you please,
But I can't get myself in the spirit
When the rabbits are eating my peas.
There's a song wafting through God's creation
On bright, April mornings like these;
But how can I keep myself smiling
When the rabbits are eating my peas!  

Our winter has been so dry, I can't help but wonder if we are in for a dry spring and summer.  We're due for a drought, after three years of abundant moisture.  But today, hope springs eternal.  I have visions of a perfect garden unmarred by squash bugs, cabbage worms, and tomato blight.  
I can dream, can't I?


    Were my granddaughters really that young once?  Where has the time gone?

5 comments:

  1. How wonderful it must me to be out planting your garden. Winter is still here in Ohio. I hope you get to enjoy it and that the rabbits leave your lettuce and peas alone. Cute poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE, love, love that poem. Had me smiling cheek to cheek. Who knew birds could TWITTER? LOL Rabbits drive me crazy too. Every year they eat my tulips before I get to see them bloom. I hope they leave your peas alone. Sounds like your garden is taking shape. Your granddaughters are adorable. Time flies when you're not looking. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee hee! Loved the poem! Sounds like a Pete Seeger song.

    Everyone says we are in for a bad summer for bugs because we had such a mild winter. I really hope not...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That poem could easily be the basis for a children's book about gardening... you should seriously think about it.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your garden does well. I can't believe it's already time for you to put out your early things.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!