Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Retirement

Cliff and I love the freedom that retirement gives us.  Today, for instance, we decided on the spur of the moment to go to Jamesport to visit an Amish store and eat at a Mennonite restaurant.  Dear Lord, can meat loaf and fried chicken and mashed potatoes and gravy get any better?   


We looked at Amish-made quilts for $499, and I told Cliff they were worth every penny of that.  


We saw lots of horses, with buggies and without.  


I bought some cheap candy.  Also some cheap popcorn that actually POPS when you want it to pop, and some cheap pinto beans.  Oh yes, and a pint of sorghum, because Cliff has to have it once in awhile when I make biscuits or corn bread.  
All the time we were on the road I read aloud from my latest John Sandford book, and time flew.  We cruised through several used tractor lots and visited my cousin Gerald in Cameron.  
It was a good day.

6 comments:

  1. There are some perks to being old-er. Since its been so dry and John has to burn pear for the cattle we've not quite as free as we were but when the grass greens up we'll be looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to retire!! What Sandford book are you reading? Loved visiting Amish country when we were in PA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a way to spend a day. Sounds wonderful. Those Amish-made quilts are lovely. But they are very expensive. I once saw one for $1500.Sanford used to be one of my favorites. What's Davenport up to now? take care.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:37 PM

    What a lovely lovely day! Thanks for taking all of us along. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Margaret, I'm reading "Mind Prey".

    ReplyDelete
  6. NERVES05 (NANCY)7:28 AM

    I'M GLAD YOU GUYS ARE HAVING A WONDERFUL TIME AND ENJOYING RETIREMENT.
    WOW.... WHO CAN AFFORD TO PAY THAT MUCH FOR A BLANKET RIGHT NOW...
    OUCH THATS ALOT..
    THEY ARE PRETTY THOUGH.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!