Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Odds and ends

Cliff mentioned something he needed from town today, and I said, excitedly, "We're going to town?  We really have to go someplace?"  
He took the hint; we went to Home Depot.  As soon as we walked inside, I saw mini-greenhouses similar to the ones I always use to start my tomato plants inside.  That's all I needed to really got excited!  


I got two different kinds, to find out whether I liked one better than the other.  I'm sure I could have gotten a cheaper kind at Walmart, but these were right in front of me; a bird in the hand, you know.  I figure I shouldn't start my tomato and pepper plants until March first or so, but I'm glad I have them here, ready.  
Guess what else I got?  


 An indoor herb garden!  I planted chives, parsley, and basil.  The pots, seeds, and potting soil were all in the package.  The seeds should germinate in seven to ten days.  Last summer I learned to love fresh basil from the garden; it has lots more flavor than the dried stuff.  Now maybe I'll soon have something I can watch growing, snow or no snow.   
We went in Target to see our granddaughter briefly (she works there), and I spent a while in Petco trying to find a ball that Iris can't tear up.  Good luck with that, I tell myself.  We'll see if she can destroy the three new ones I got.  
I went for a walk in the snow yesterday; Cliff declined:  he said walking in snow eight inches deep made his knees hurt.  For some reason, when I'm walking in deep snow I wander all over the place, rather than going in a straight line.  


I think it's partly because I'm looking down at my feet, rather than where I'm headed.  In some places the snow is deeper than my Muck boots.  A lot of thawing took place today.  The snow is just right for a snowman, but I think I'll pass on building one.  

8 comments:

  1. LOL....I just ordered a 4 shelf indoor, hopefully cat proof, greenhouse from Target. Can't wait to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to start seeds indoors, too. They do really well until they get about four inches tall. Then, for some reason, they start dying off. I've pretty much given up and last year just bought plants when when they were ready to go outside. It cost more that way, but at least I had something to plant. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just bitin' at the bits to get started too but I'm gonna hold back for a bit. I can't wait to see your pop up there!

    God bless ya and have a glorious day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not had much luck either with indoor herbs, but I do have some seeds here. I got this gift of an indoor herb garden year before this for Christmas. I may just have to see if the seeds are still any good.
    It would be great to see something green and growing. Thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, judging from those snow tracks, you're much more energetic than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lindie9:06 AM

    I've been thinking about looking for an indoor herb garden! Is it flat leaf parsley? And I've been missing my fresh basil. I have frozen thyme and rosemary in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lindie, it's curled parsley.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look at old Calvin and Hobbes comic strips every day on the Internet and he's recently been constructing his snow goons. They still crack me up.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!