Thursday, January 13, 2011

It's cold

Right now it's six below zero, with wind chill of 17 below.  I'm snug and warm inside, thankful for a warm house and running water.  Yesterday I don't think I ventured out even once; I had Cliff put my mail in the mailbox on his way to work, and I was spared having to go pick up my mail later because the mail lady brought it to the door to hand-deliver a couple of packages.  One was a surprise from the state of Maine:  Louise sent me half a dozen Farm and Ranch magazines she was finished with.  Cliff and I will both enjoy reading them on these cold winter days when we're stuck inside.  
I see Farm and Ranch Living has a website just chock-full of recipes and other useful things, even a tractor show schedule!  I've added their link to my sidebar.   
I believe Cliff and I will brave the cold today and visit Sam's Club, Walmart, and anywhere else we can afford.  Last night was supposed to be our coldest for awhile.  Thank goodness!
I've been paying bills this morning.  I know this is crazy, but I love paying bills!  Don't get me wrong, I don't enjoy having them; but there's just some satisfaction I feel knowing another bill is paid for the month.  I pay them online these days, except for our insurances and the monthly propane bill; those don't give me that option.  I really begrudge the stamps I have to use for them!  I usually schedule my online bill payments a day or two ahead of time, since I'm able to choose which day they collect their money.  T-Mobile is the only one I can't schedule ahead, so I have to wait until the money is actually in the bank to pay them.  
It has really been a boon to us to have our propane and electricity payments set up so they're the same monthly amount year-around.  No more surprises from the propane company in winter or from Kansas City Power and Light in summer.  
You can see how desperate I am for blog fodder, telling you all about my bills.  I am scraping the bottom of the barrel.

7 comments:

  1. Compared to you ....it's a balmy 20 degrees here! Enjoy your trip today! I love going to Sam's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankfully we've not been that cold yet. Still I hate to leave the house. I cannot take the freezing temps. Today is my day to do a little shopping so I will be going out but will be bundled up for sure. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm out of writing ideas myself. It was a tossup between talking about my crockpot or going off on some philosophical bender. I'm leaving my blog out of it for now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i feel happy when the bills are paid me i do the old way. us mail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine weather that cold--all our pipes and cars would freeze. We whine if it gets into the 20s and the teens are very, very rare. Glad you stayed inside where you could be warm and comfy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love when you share your memories ~ would you tell us about when your kids were little?

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! you are having cold weather. It's supposed to get to 12º here tonight. I will leave my faucets dripping. I haven't been getting out much myself. Helen

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!