Wednesday, January 12, 2011

You know you're getting older when...

... when you keep track of pills in one of these things.  This one holds the doctor-prescribed pills Cliff takes:  a baby aspirin, Lipitor, Metropolol, and Niaspan.  The Lipitor is very expensive.  Cliff's cardiologist told us it is supposed to go generic this year; here's hoping!  I'm not complaining, because Cliff has done remarkably well since his open-heart surgery.  I only have one prescription of my own so far, a generic blood pressure pill.  


There's a whole tub full of vitamins and prescriptions.  We don't take any hocus-pocus stuff, just generic calcium, fish oil (which the cardiologist fully approves), a multi-vitamin, and glucosamine.  As soon as the present bottle of glucosamine is gone, we're stopping it, since recent studies say it really does no good.  I guess it was all in our heads, thinking our arthritis pain was lessened when we took it.   
I stress to Cliff all the time that his blue pill-holder is the important one; it holds his doctor-prescribed meds.  Since I'm the one who fills these things up weekly, I doubt he'd know what to do with them all.  If something happened to me unexpectedly, he'd be wise to call the doctor's office and see what it is he's supposed to take.     
So, young people, this is what you have to look forward to.  

9 comments:

  1. nerves057:47 AM

    My husband takes that glucosamine and it helps him.. He doesn't have alot of cushen on knee caps so he takes it and he said he can tell a difference when he doesn't take. I know quite a few folks that take it and they say it helps. I say if it helps. to heck with it. Although that stuff does cost a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my Dad was alive he took 20 pills every day and we had ones that had morning, noon and night besides one a day ones. We did make a list and put it on the fridge with a magnet so it would be there in case anyone needed to know what it was that he took. When you discontinue the glucoasmine that will be the true test as to whether it really did any good. I know I'm getting older because I've been out shoveling snow and have had 2 breaks already and am still not done...Have a wonderful Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried pricing the Lipitor thru a Canada company....i got my asthma ($$$$) meds for less than half the price of Wal Mart Drugs....
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one of those boxes. Lipitor is very expensive. The cardiologist told him to take 3 fish pills a day and the nurse said they have some people on 7 a day. Joes heart meds are all cheaper than anything I take but he stays so thin. That is his DNA I guess . The doctor likes his weight but I would like to see him take and put on about 5lbs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm already practicing with M&Ms......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang. That looks just like my pill thingy. How in the snap did I ever get so old?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I have the same little plastic container that I faithfully fill each week. I hate it, I would prefer not to take anything but my doctor told me that I don't have that option. Rats!

    Wow! I didn't know you got so much snow! We are getting hammered today and it's a total whiteout. I was going to go to the grocery store but am waiting for a repairman and now it's too wild out.

    Got a kick out of the list of things sent to you. I think I have gotten them all too. I think of it every time I drink a diet coke.

    I snore too. I hate it too. Hubs tells me to roll over too. Not a club that we want to be a member of is it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I swear my doc gives me samples....I report back how awesome it is....and then he says "Oh, by the way, there's no generic for that one...."

    AURGH!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Saw your post on the Lipitor. Go to www.lipitor.com/save fill out the form and get your $4 card in the mail. I've done this but don't know yet how it works. I hope that they send a list of pharmacies that accept the card with your insurance but probably Walmart will (they accept everything don't they?). It seems Lipitor is getting a little nervous on two fronts; one the generic due out sometime this year and a new pill that will be out in a couple of years that not only reduces the LDL but increases the HDL. Of course, that pill will probably break the bank as well.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!