Friday, January 21, 2011

A John Prine work of art

In an Appalachian Greyhound station,
She sits there waiting, in a family way.
"Goodbye brother, Tell Mom I love her.
Tell all the others, I'll write someday"

Chorus:
From an teenage lover, to an unwed mother
Kept undercover, like some bad dream
While unwed fathers, they can't be bothered
They run like water, through a mountain stream

In a cold and gray town, a nurse say's "Lay down"
'This ain't no playground, and this ain't home'
Someone's children, out having children
In a gray stone building, all alone

On somewhere else bound, Smokey Mountain Greyhound
She bows her head down, hummin' lullabies
'Your daddy never, meant to hurt you ever';
'He just don't live here, but you've got his eyes'.



2 comments:

  1. wow.

    I hadn't seen or heard that before.

    that was really nice.

    thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the song.
    I'm envious of your short driveway. Ours costs me a fortune. It's almost a mile long.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!