Saturday, May 09, 2009

You may find this interesting

I'm giving you the website of the folks where I bought my pregnant Jersey heifer, Bonnie. Perhaps some of my Kansas City readers will be interested in what Hidden Hills Farms, near Smithville, has to offer: For $6,000 a year, you get a taste of country life AND some fresh-from-the-farm food. Or, if you'd like to put in sixty hours of work each year, a membership is $5,400. This gets you five hundred pounds of meat (beef, pork, and poultry), and weekly portions of eggs, milk, and produce.

Now, that all sounds pretty pricey to me, but then I have my own acreage and haven't tried to figure out what it's worth to me.

On the website you'll learn why grass-fed beef and raw milk are better. That's their opinion, by the way; not necessarily mine. My husband butchered for many years, and he can tell you all the reasons why grass-fed beef isn't as tender and tasty as grain-fed beef. I'm sure there is a certain comfort, though, in knowing there aren't any strange hormones or antibiotics in your beef.

Anyhow, since I'm drawing a blank as to what to post, I figured some of you might find this an interesting concept. And who knows, some Kansas City folks wanting a taste of the country might be looking for something exactly like this!

2 comments:

  1. I thought selling raw milk is illegal and you have to have a license just for that. maybe not in MO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe they get around that law because the cows are community-owned. In other words, everyone gets milk from a herd that is owned by THEM. I've read on farm message boards that this is a way to get around those laws.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!