Friday, May 01, 2009

How I prepare morel mushrooms

Morels can't be used like you'd use regular mushrooms from the grocery store. You mustn't eat them raw in salads, because they can make you sick if they aren't cooked.

The first thing I do with them is halve them lengthwise, rinse them off, and soak them in salt water. Salt water gets the ants and snails out. When I'm ready to use them, I remove them from the salt water and rinse off any remaining dirt.

Some people saute them. If I only find a few, so that it isn't enough to make a "mess", I dice them, saute them, and scramble some eggs with them.

My mother simply rolled morels in flour and fried them. I really prefer them dipped in an egg-and-milk mixture, then rolled in a combination of half flour and half finely-crushed round crackers like Hi Ho or Ritz.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this about morels. I have a few I've been saving and was not sure about how to prepare them. I like the ideas you mention here.
    Lisa in KY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    Thanks for telling me how you prepare them. I'm sure I would love them too. I bet they are godd like you fix them. Yummo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw them at the City Market this morning - $20 for 1/2 lb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom always did an egg wash and flour and then fried them. Oh, my, I haven't had any in years, and I can taste them now!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!