Sunday, May 17, 2009

I'm loving my birds

Last summer I discovered the joy to be found watching hummingbirds.

Now I'm enjoying goldfinches (Daddy used to call them "wild canaries). I found out what sort of feeder they like, and what kind of seed (thistle). I can see a goldfinch at the feeder almost anytime I look out my window; there are three of them there at this very minute. I intend to move the feeder closer to my window before long.

It's the neatest thing, seeing those flashes of bright yellow in my back yard.

Every once in awhile I see a bluebird on the fence or hopping along on the ground; I want more of those around, too. I went to Google to see what steps I might take to attract bluebirds. The first suggestion given is to get some birdhouses for them. Sounds great, but I'm afraid I'd end up providing housing for sparrows. Another suggestion was to provide meal worms for them to eat; sorry, I'm not going to buy live meal worms to feed any sort of bird. I've gotten them in my cabinets a time or two, and I'd just as soon never see them again.

A birdbath is also suggested; again, I wonder if I'd end up seeing only sparrows bathing at my facilities.

Maybe I'll just settle for seeing the occasional bluebird sitting on the fence.

4 comments:

  1. I have a pair of them that come every year to my birdhouse & raise their young there. It's such a treat. Like you, I'm not buying worms for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those goldfinches are gorgeous. I also really like your Welcome Post that holds the feeder. I never thought to google how to attract a particular bird. I'm off to do that!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Goldfinches have left here already. The bluebirds here eat earthworms they pull out of the ground. It the winder time I used to put a tray outside with cornbread crumbs and they would visit that. I have seen a whole family of them using the birdbath here. I think you got some great goodies at that sale. My DIL used an apple peeler on some apples last year that she dried. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to have birds coming over to my garden too, but living in an apartment is less than deal.

    Attracting the birds with feeders has always been my attention, but I am afraid that the many birds might accidentally leave droppings on the corridor floor or neighbors' laundry that are hung out to dry.

    That is why having a backyard like yours is wonderful, but only just a dream for me.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!