Monday, May 11, 2009

adventures in gardening... and knee pain

Last week my knees were bothering me more every day. It finally hit me that I had not been taking glucosamine for about a week. Once I got on that again, I started feeling much less pain. It doesn't fix the problem, but it certainly does make it bearable. Cliff and I have both gone through phases of thinking, "I'm wasting my money on this stuff", only to realize after a week or so that our arthritis pain is greatly increased when we don't take it.

A lot was accomplished in the garden yesterday.

Cliff and I got the tomato cages put up, so those little Legend Tomato plants are ready to go (and grow)!

They all look quite happy in their cages.

The Kentucky Wonder beans are awake and searching for sunlight.

I hauled some manure to the garden and tilled it in. While doing that, I noticed one of the the usual neighbor's horses was out, heading for my yard. That's when it struck me that the electric fence was unplugged. I went running to plug it in, but when I did so, it didn't start clicking! Later I found out Cliff had unplugged the extension cord at the other end, while he was mowing. That horse came charging to the garden and managed to stretch out the electric wire pretty badly, knocking off some insulators, before he decided the wire was not something he wanted to stretch any more. He made it about six feet into the garden and missed my single eggplant by about an inch, but thankfully, no damage was done. Of course his owners weren't home. ::Note to self: Keep that electric fence plugged in at all times:: Although the animal tromped all over the back yard, no flowers were damaged, either. I wish there were some legal means to keep this from happening, but I don't know of anything we can do except keep the electric fence on. If it had been working when the horse ran into it, he wouldn't have stretched it out... he would have made a run for home!


All's well that ends well, right? Except of course we know it will happen again. And again.

4 comments:

  1. Lindie8:43 AM

    When I was little our neighbors cows were always getting into our yard. They would look in the windows and tromp on everything. By the way, what do you disinfect your hummingbird feeders with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I know about farming you could put in a thimble and still have room for a finger... but I'd bet there is a county ordinance or two that cover roaming livestock.... of course you'd have to get the authorities involved and your neighbors will deduce the complainant (although if their too stupid to keep the horse penned up your probably safe.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:50 AM

    doesn't seem right that you have to be harrassed by this negligent neighbor...and I don't mean the horse...dumb animal is just doing what mother nature meant for it to do LOL...but it does seem you have to put up with a bit much....glad nothing was damaged...and yes...keep the plug plugged LOLOL...hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats why we had to get our fencing, other peoples animals. Not horses mind you, but dogs. Hate that the horse stretched it out like that. Cliff will have to remember to hook the wire back up right away when he isnt mowing. I noticed that you have one of those FogoDeChao restaurants in Kansas City there, y'all should go for lunch there, treat yourselves like royalty for a day, they have awesome service and meat there. Y'all are doing better in the planting department than we are. Ians got blueberries and blackberries planted. Rose bushes are planted. Its been a soggy wet mess here, not able to till its just too wet. Maybe soon this rain will start to thin out and we can do something besides watch it rain! ;) Hugs, Kelly

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!