Friday, May 29, 2009

Home-grown

That's an old large-sized coffee can holding Cliff's radishes. You know, those round things that I can't seem to raise. Two years ago Cliff couldn't grow them either; we're both stumped as to what he did differently this year. I cooked all these turnips yesterday. And then I ate them all myself. *burp*
The beets are looking good, but it will be awhile before I can try my hand at making borscht. I remember reading some story in grade school that mentioned borscht, and the teacher telling us it was a Russian dish made with sour cream and beets. At that time I didn't know anything about cultured, store-bought sour cream: To me, sour meant spoiled, and I couldn't imagine anyone eating such a thing.

With any luck, the cabbage will be ready at the same time, since it's another ingredient required in making borscht.

Leaf lettuce is still plentiful, so we had wilted lettuce again yesterday. Once the weather heats up, it will bolt; then I'll pull it up.
I have one single eggplant. The bugs were attacking it, but it will be all right now that I dusted it. Why do I have one eggplant? Because I love ratatouille! That's the only recipe I make that requires eggplant.

8 comments:

  1. I have some Polish friends that always do the beat soup at Easter every year. It's a family custom handed down through the ages. And of course there are always pickled eggs in beet juice too! Your garden and Cliffs seems to be doing quite well. Wilted lettuce salad was one of my Mom's favorites.
    Enjoy your weekend !
    'On Ya'-ma

    ReplyDelete
  2. great looking garden items! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beets look so much better than mine!I'm the only one in my house hold that likes beets. But, thats okay, leaves more for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everthing looks so pretty and good enough to eat LOL. I have never eat that beet thingy. My eggplants used to always get lots of bugs that look like black fleas and jump like then also. Good idea to poison them. I used to do that. I know you and cliff are enjoying all those fresh veggies. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love radishes, but had the same thing happen to me, they were long and not very big, yours look great! You ate all the turnips??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice garden. It has rained so much here that my garden is doing nothing

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't care for radishes but your's look good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The garden is looking good!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!