Sunday, May 17, 2009

So, what did I buy at the garage sales?


This is why I need to stay far away from garage sales: I always buy "bargains" and then once I get them home, I ask myself, "Will I ever use this?"

Let's face it, I already have plenty of junk without going after more.

Sometimes I could use just one more burner than my stove provides, and that's why I bought this. It was $5; online, I see new ones cost $39. We shall see.

Even Cliff liked this. I think it was $3. Did I need it? Nope.

I already had a big canner like this, but sometimes you just want to cold pack a few pints of something, so I thought this smaller one might come in handy. $2.50 isn't a bad price.

This is another thing that simply caught my eye, and Cliff's also. For now, it's in my computer room.

Cliff saw this and told me he remembered his Aunt Margaret putting her husband to work with an apple peeler like this. It's a White Mountain, so it ought to be good. I hope I can figure out how to use it when it's apple harvest time. I found a discussion about apple peelers on Homesteading Today, a discussion forum I sometimes frequent. It appears that Pampered Chef makes a peeler that people seem to love.

The one item I was looking for at garage sales yesterday: books! I found lots of them but so many of them were romantic drivel that I only came home with two. Cliff has become quite the avid reader, and he isn't really into romantic books. I passed up some John Grisham books because I wasn't sure which ones we've read. So I only came home with two books.

Cliff spent a couple of bucks on other stuff. You know, "guy stuff" that he took out to the shop as soon as we got home. I'm still thinking we might have done better just staying home.

13 comments:

  1. I have an apple peeler except mine has a suction cup,I use it a lot. I even used to bring it to work with 5 lbs of apples and just peel them for my co-workers. It works good when I am too lazy to peel apples for a pie or something. Kids love the spiral-cut apples too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:57 AM

    so you bought "junk"...no way...and you had alot of fun...together...you and Cliff...and that makes for a great day!!!! hugs...Ora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindie8:10 AM

    I watched down home with the neelys yesterday on Food network and he was using one just like that (the apple peeler)His cored, peeled and sliced the apples and if yours does that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have an apple peeler like that....it's great!! I make applesauce with the bargains City Boy brings hame and i can peel 10-12 apples in about 15 minutes....plus it cores them.....Love it....

    Enjoy.....LindaMay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the apple peeler myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love garage sales!

    I haven't got to go to many just yet, but can't wait...I love a bargain..but like you I don't need more stuff...but I sure find a place for it...lol

    Enjoy your bargains!

    Hugs
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a small price to pay for having fun with your husband! I love the things you bought. Especially the windmill.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all your finds and hope you have a great day! That windmill find is adorable!
    Lisa in KY

    ReplyDelete
  9. You got some good bargains Donna!!! Love the canner...don't do too much apple peeling but it looks good and sturdy. Good that you and CLiff got to go!!
    love,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks to me like you found some real treasures. My oldest son makes apple butter every fall and uses his apple peeler then. When doing huge quantities it really does help.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I try to stay away from garage sales too but its so much fun to find those bargains. I like the windmill too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love finding cookware at yardsales - I have an old double boiler I bought years ago that has been borrowed multiple times as they're very hard to find. I do remember finding a pan with holes. When I went to buy it (for a dollar) the seller asked me what is was for. I told him grilling vegetables on the BBQ - he lit up and said THAT"S GREAT! - and took it back in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  13. it is soooooooooooooo hard not to get bargains, even when you don't need them lol.. you talk yourself into them! ("hmmm, one day I might wish I had this") lol

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!